Thread: Night time woes

Default Night time woes

I've posted recently about Stachio and night-time PTing.
    http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=445742

Basically he would go 5 - 10 nights waking up dry and then as soon as we put undies on him he'd wet.

Well, frankly with the holidays approaching DH and I got lazy and started putting him in pull ups or diapers every night. (I could so kick myself for this). After about 6-8 weeks of this...Stachio is waking up WET every morning. However, it seems that his New Year's Resolution is to wear underwear to bed because he REFUSES to put on a pull up now. The problem is...he's no longer aware of when he is wetting.

My theory is that when he first PT'ed it was all so new that he was VERY aware of the signals that he had to go. Then because DH and I were putting him in pull-ups or a diaper he realized that it didn't matter and he's been going at night for long enough without any consequence that he doesn't recognize the signal.

I also think that he actually makes it most nights until he is waking up (He's a slow waker...needing time to just lie in bed after waking to adjust before he gets out of bed - DH is like this). So I think he's actually having his accidents while he's in this 1/2 awake state.

I don't want to punish him for accidents...but I do want to encourage him to be more aware of the signal when he wakes.

Anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

FWIW...we do try to get him to go potty if he wakes in the night...but he will often refuse. We even manage to get him to sit on the potty a lot of the time...but he won't go (then have an accident shortly thereafter). So if anyone has any suggestions for getting him to go in this situation...I'd love it, too.

I'd just put the pull-ups back on for a while...but he doesn't want them...and frankly, I think that is how we got into this mess in the first place. I think if we'd just stuck it out right away for a few nights, we wouldn't be experiencing this.
    Last edited by BabbyO; 01-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

DD1 stayed cloth diapers and or pull ups at night until she was just shy of 5. After a while I just stopped worrying about it and kept her in pull ups. I figured no one but us had to know and her wearing pull ups to bed didn't seem to bother her.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    DD1 stayed cloth diapers and or pull ups at night until she was just shy of 5. After a while I just stopped worrying about it and kept her in pull ups. I figured no one but us had to know and her wearing pull ups to bed didn't seem to bother her.
    I would keep him in pull-ups or diapers if I could...but he is adamant about wearing underwear.

Last night he wet by 11:30 pm, peed in the toilet a fair amt about 11:45 after I gave him a quick bath (he was soaked and shivering), and wet again this morning by 7 am. Oiy!

I don't think DH gave him water before bed...he said he didn't...

ETA: I think you (or maybe someone else) recommended undies over pull up. I guess I could do that for a bit, but I wonder if that would add to the confusion at this point. Why don't these kiddos come with a manual...specific to each of them of course!
    Last edited by BabbyO; 01-11-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

I tried to wake up and take DS1 to the bathroom. It didn’t work (was not happy, wet in the morning). I bought an alarm, DS1 was exited, but 2 days later things went down hill (he was waking up every other hour and I felt like I had a newborn in my house). Now I realize, that he was coughing, the alarm was going off every time. I gave up, he didn’t want to wear diapers.... I researched for ideas, then knitted wool undies(double layer), using HA training pants as an example . He is wearing HA training pants and wool undies nowadays. He had couple accidents, but all was held by HA pants and wool undies (I made 2 of them) and I didn’t need to change the bedding. I was amazed. I explained to him, that I am living the light in the bathroom for him at night time. It had been a half year since we had accidents and he doesn’t want to give up neither on HA or wool undies (I need to train his brother, who was dry for half of the year, but wet every night nowadays). I beleive once DS2 figured out the purpose of the diapers, he is using them;(. I don’t like pull-ups for that reason.
    What helped us is making sure, that they are not constipated; they can drink whatever they want during a day, but by supper it is about half of the cup and no milk.
    Last edited by Tinochka; 01-13-2013 at 02:05 PM.