karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default data points please - nighttime pt

ds used to be dry all night. like, for years, even though he was in a diaper, he was dry. he has developmental delays and didn't understand the concept of going in the potty, though.

but now that he's trained, the last few weeks he's waking up every couple of hours to go dribble a few drops. with me helping. the sleep interruptions are about as fun as they used to be 5 years ago. him going by himself wouldn't really help, because just him opening his door wakes me up. damn mama radar.

is this a stage that most kids hit as they're finishing potty training? is it just a body control thing, like 'well, better go get rid of this while i'm a bit awake' or more a mama control thing like 'hmm, i turned over & woke up a bit, i could probably squeeze out a bit of pee, and then i'd get to see mama!'

anyone have any btdt or other advice? do you think he'd stay asleep-er with an electric blanket or a weighted blanket? i'm looking for that sweet spot that if he really does need to pee, he'd wake up, of course.

advice & commiseration, please!
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

Not much help, but ds night trained about a year after he potty trained, iirc. His diaper was usually wet in the morning, but it became pretty clear that he was peeing in it while awake before getting up and he wanted to stop wearing it. He has never, ever gotten me up to go pee in the night. And he's a terrible sleeper and totally wanted me at night at the time. Guess that excuse just didn't occur to him.

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No real advice here (I've got one older than him who has still been wet most nights of her life) but hugs, as I know the sleep deprivation is a drain. We just put a Malem alarm on DD last week, and she has been dry 3 nights so far.

Sorry I don't have any ideas, just hugs.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry I don't have specific advice for your situation but my DS is the same age (11/06) and he has only been dry at night maybe twice in his life. He has been day-time trained since before 3. He wears a pull up at night & I just asked ped about it at his 6 year well visit and she said not to be concerned at all. It was normal, don't change anything, etc. On the other hand my DD has been dry at night since 2.5 so I do think it is very specific to the child, the way they sleep & their body.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That sounds so hard!
    I do not exactly have BTDT but, my daughter has had a bit of nighttime PT regression lately, and that means bedwetting. This getting up frequently thing for a few drops sounds, to me, like either a UTI (which you would notice during the day), or a habit he has formed. It does remind me of "reverse cycling" with nursing, where when a mom goes back to work, suddenly baby is only hungry at night.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

my DD1 pt'd at 3 yrs., 1 mos., but was not night time trained until she was 5 yrs., 3 mos. old, and had been day trained for 2 yrs., 2 mos. by that point. She wet her bed twice in the week that she finally admitted to me that she could nap at daycare, but wake up to go pee in the middle of her nap, but hasn't done it since. She did sleep in a pull up again for about a week after she got her full leg cast on, but was still dry.

It will happen in time and remember no one needs to know that he isn't PT'd at night besides you.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

i guess i wasn't clear - he's going in the potty, but waking me up. this is new - he didn't have to go at night for years. i'm good with him getting up & getting me up to go, but not every 90-120 minutes.

i was just hoping for some smooth potty sailing for a while, i guess, so this feels a bit 'slap in the face-ish'. though i guess it shouldn't...i'm just tired & this is making me cranky.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Has he had an accident recently? I've found with DD1 that if she has an accident she because hyper vigilant about going to the bathroom and gets up frequently at night. After a few days it goes back to normal.

Can you encourage him not to wake you? I know you said even his noise would wake you, happens to me too, but being woken up but still in bed is entirely different than having to get up. When we night trained DD1 (we needed to use the Malem alarm) that she was only to wake me up if her sheets were wet but if she was just using the bathroom she didn't need to wake me. It took a bit of reinforcement but she did stop waking me every time she went. While her turning the bathroom light on w/out closing the door is enough to wake me, I can easily fall back to sleep since I didn't have to get out of bed to assist her.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

hmm, actually, yes. he peed the bed the week between christmas & new years, first time ever (well, very occasional diaper leaks, but see original post, usually dry all night). good point to ponder, wendibird, thanks!