Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default ready to burn my CDs...

I have just about had it with my cloth diapers.

DD is my first CD'ed babe and we have only been at it for a few months.

We do a few AIOs, pockets and some natural and synthetic fabrics. I have a newer samsung front loader and we wash about 15 dipes and inserts a load every other day (or every day with towels.) Dd is EBF.
    We have hard water according to the test strip.

The problem is that my dipes just aren't getting clean enough. Yellow poo is getting stuck in the gussets, sometimes I am able to removevit with a fingernail after washes! I have also been having a problem with staining when I have not before. I washed a freshly soiled diaper and it still stained! Oddly enough they never smell at all. I tried snapping them backwards and that actually seems to make ot worse.

I am washing: cold rinse no spin, heavy duty hot extra rinse and more rinses as needed. I have also tried a w/w handwash (lots of water) with soap and followed with either another w/w handwash or HD hot and they still aren't clean enough!

So far I've tried RNG hard, tiny bubbles, bum genius, target clean pristine, ecos and ecover and nothing helps. I just added calgon to my tiny bubbles followed by another tiny bubble wash and still poo in the gussets.

DD is allergic to charlies and tide is a miracle worker but she is allergic to that too.

I have tried bigger loads, smaller loads, dryer balls in the wash and bac out and nothing is working. Last night she sat wet for maybe 20 minutes in a basix and rashed terribly. The dipe didn't smell at all when I took it off her.

Any advice before I go back to huggies?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you using detergent at all?

I used Charlie's. I had this whole wash system worked out like a chemistry experiment, seriously. LG front loader. I did try other detergents but the dipes always came out smelly.

Rinse with Bac-out 1/4 cup
    Hot wash Regular with detergent
    2nd rinse.

ALL poop diapers were hosed down with the diaper sprayer and wrung out before going into the diaper pail. I sometimes questioned how eco it was to CD with all the water I was using to hose the dipes!

I used mostly prefolds and Thirsties covers, but also Bum Genius with hemp inserts, as well as microfiber towels from Costco.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

keep trying, but if you go to huggies, no shame! you would have if you could.
    glib-gabbety puke stockings.
    ds 11/09
    dd 10/13

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Argh, that sounds so frustrating.

The leftover solids part makes me wonder if your washer is filling with enough water. Do you have an extra water setting? I've had luck adding a wet towel or pouring in hot water on top of the diapers. I peeked at my diapers mid cycle once and realized they were so absorbent they had soaked up all the wash water and there wasn't any left to agitate.

Good luck!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For staining my best remedy has been the good old fashioned sun. It obviously won't work in some climates right now but my diapers are always brighter after a few hours in the sun.

Not much advice except for seconding the PP who said to check the water level and maybe the sprayer. Just wanted to say that, if you decide your done, I'll take 'em off your hands, - stains and all

~ Cindy

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hmm. Can you try Tide Free? Maybe Rockin Green, which is suppose to be good for hard water. Allen's is suppose to be good as well. I spray every piece of polyester diaper with Bac Out before the rinse cycle. I do a load with bleach about once a month. The cloth diapers won't smell much until you start solids.

Also no harm in going back to Huggies. We did that for a year befor starting cloth again when DD2 was 15 months old. DD2 had uber sensitive skin as an infant as well.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I had a top load WM in old house for most of the time of my CDing, but once my CDs developed a nasty smell... I found out that the best was to strip them down: wash by hands using Dawn (you don’t want to put a lot of it) and hot water and then washing till the point that there are no bubbles. After that I always put just one drop of Dawn with detergent (dye free detergent, then I used Charlie’s soap). If I was dealing with a poopy diaper, I made sure to spraywash everything to the bucket (using gloves), then the content was going to the toilet, but the diaper was staying in the bucket with clean water. Once we moved to a new house, I had a front loader and I realized that it’s not the best for CDs. I put on presoak function, then regular wash cycle, then rinse 2 times. I did not have any problems. I used FuzzyBuns, hemp insersts and microfiber towels. HTH!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I used to wash each load at least twice. Once to get it all off, once to get clean. Huge loads would go through 3 times. I used regular fragrance free detergent. That got them all clean and stain free. But boy was it a PITA.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

What works well for us is adding some vinegar in the initial cold water cycle. Others have suggested to me adding a wet bath towel to the frontloader to trick the machine into adding more water. That seems to help, but if it's too wet our machine will drain out the water and any borax, etc. in the drum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast