Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I have a few in my closet, but they don't really get worn. Like you, I don't seem to be able pull off the cute look of the models.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Yes. All the time. An easy way to wear them is untucked over skinny jeans with flat leather boots

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I own a few and wear them occasionally. I am petite and have very short hair. Most of mine are solids (grey, black) or subtle stripe. Some ways I feminize them are:
    statement necklace or chunky pearls
    bright colored skinny belt either with the shirt tucked into trousers or over a cardigan.
    feminine cami underneath

ETA: with that bluish/purple tones I'd pair it with a berry colored belt...wine, magenta, eggplant and maybe in a patent finish.
    Last edited by wendibird22; 01-18-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have recently been trying to incorporate more button down shirts into my wardrobe. I have several (solids and prints...mostly floral) which have been hanging in my closet seldom worn for years.

When I wear them, I always keep the top few buttons undone...low enough to show a little cleavage. If I am going casual, I leave the bottom button or two (depending on the length of the shirt) undone and then tie the ends in a knot (not high enough to show of the belly button...because nobody wants to see my 43-year-old navel). If I am going for a more polished look, I make sure the shirt is fitted (I do have the previously posted shirt from Banana, in pink) and will tuck it into a skirt...with pants I can either tuck or not). I always roll up the sleeves on button downs, otherwise I feel the look is too stuffy.

I am petite, and not particularly curvy.

I will say that my one issue with button down shirts as that I feel like I sweat more in them. Perhaps it is because the woven fabric doesn't absorb perspiration the same way a knit does, but I am always self conscious that I am getting moist armpit stains, especially if the shirt is more fitted.
    Last edited by ilfaith; 01-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    All the time. But I am very busty and imo they are good for minimizing that.
    Interesting. I'm busty and never wear them because in order for them to be large enough to not tug at the buttons/pull open at the bust, they are way too long in the arms, big in the shoulders, etc.

I also like how they look tucked in, but, um, that's not happening on this body.
    marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have lots of them. In fact, I'm wearing one right now! I wear them to work a lot under crew neck sweaters with slacks. I also have summery linen ones that I wear with cropped jeans and sandals in the summer.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Almost never. I am very busty and if the shirt is big enough on top to not pull at the buttons, than it is so big around my stomach area and I look like a kid wearing my dad's shirt, or just makes me look fat. I hate them.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Interesting. I'm busty and never wear them because in order for them to be large enough to not tug at the buttons/pull open at the bust, they are way too long in the arms, big in the shoulders, etc.

I also like how they look tucked in, but, um, that's not happening on this body.
    I frequently have to pin between certain buttons. I also usually wear them tucked in and under a blazer /jacket (work) . I have some I can wear untucked but I have to be careful not to look like a tent. Others i will wear over a cami/tank and leave the top few buttons open (those are more fitted at the waist and I can wear untucked. Not to work)

I don't know, I think button downs are absolutely the best for minimizing my chest but clearly it depends on other things!

I only have a couple and don't wear them a ton. One has a big collar and a fitted waist, clearly not something a man would wear. The other has a floral print and I either wear it over a t-shirt with just a couple buttons in the middle buttoned or I wear it tucked in with a turquoise belt.

I would try styling yours a few different ways to see if anything works before sending it back.

Catherine

ETA. As an aside I wouldn't call that a button down shirt. I think those are the shirts with a collar that buttons down. None of mine have a collar that buttons down. Yours and mine are just shirts with a button up front, IMO.
    Last edited by crl; 01-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.

I wear them to work periodically. I buy fitted ****s that tuck in at the waist.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast