Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Our Malem bedwetting trial

So, DD is 6.5, and she's only been dry less than 5 nights in her life. Actually it's probably more like 2-3 nights. It was about to drive me batty buying Underjams for her and size 6 diapers for both boys.

We got the blue alarm with 1tone and vibration and clipped the sensor on her. The first night it went off 3 times. The next 5 nights it went off 1 time. Being up in the middle of the night to help her change was driving me batty, so we took a break when DH was going out of town. On the last day of wearing it, she said that she was going to try to make it to the potty before the alarm went off. She wore a pullup to bed and kept it dry the whole time DH was out of town, and has been dry ever since! We just passed night 8 with no accidents! She's back on the top bunk, and she slept in just underwear last night. (Like JUST unders since she got hot and stripped her pj's off before 11pm.)

We are so thrilled and look forward to using this with the other DC when they are ready! I know our experience was not typical as it says that it might take about 10 weeks, but I really liked our 1 week with the alarm!

When I told DD how proud I was of her efforts, she said, "Well, you shouldn't be THAT surprised. There are lots of 6.5 year olds who are dry all night long!"

Yay for your DD! It's funny how it just "clicks" and they act like its no big deal when it does. Lol. I'm glad you found something that works. I'm marking this for future reference. One of my girls was a heavy nighttime wetter and I think DS will be the same.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Way to go!

I have nothing but praise for the Malem alarm. It was the best thing we did for 5yo DD1 this past summer. We did end up using it for a few days in December because she had a few accidents in a row (probably constipation) and I think her body needed a little reminder but then we were back on track again. The booklet did say that this could happen and we really only used it for 2 nights. It was such a great tool that I'm so wishing I could use it with 3yo DD2. But I know she's still young for nighttime dryness so I'm not going to push it but man oh man it's tempting because it just works so well.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

We used it with 6.5 yr old DD over the Christmas break, but I don't like the idea of using it on school nights. We do it on the weekends as well, but I think you really have to make a commitment for it to work well. I'm planning on doing it during spring break and then in the summertime. It seems that Dd had more dry nights during the period that we we using the alarm, so I do think (hope) the connection was being made and it will go much faster when we do it over our breaks. We ended up getting the Chummie alarm, and I am very impressed with it. We sandwich it between her panties and pull-up, which is great because i don't have to change the bed, just the pull up.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    We used it with 6.5 yr old DD over the Christmas break, but I don't like the idea of using it on school nights. We do it on the weekends as well, but I think you really have to make a commitment for it to work well. I'm planning on doing it during spring break and then in the summertime. It seems that Dd had more dry nights during the period that we we using the alarm, so I do think (hope) the connection was being made and it will go much faster when we do it over our breaks. We ended up getting the Chummie alarm, and I am very impressed with it. We sandwich it between her panties and pull-up, which is great because i don't have to change the bed, just the pull up.
    I can relate. We started DD1 with it in early August hoping to get over the hump of frequent night wakes up before school started (we don't start until after Labor Day). I was glad we made that decision because the first week we were awake A LOT! The Malem instructions do say you have to commit to using it every night for as long as it takes...which for us was about 2 months. (4 weeks of wetting to some degree and then you are supposed to continue to use it until you have 14 consecutive days dry).
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

When DD asked how long she had to wear it, I said "until you are dry for 14 days". She has been adding up the dry days and was crushed when I said it had it be 14 consecutive days.

So good to know. Good for you guys! I go around and around about trying out one on DS, and maybe I need to just bite the bullet and do it. He's so embarrassed about wetting the bed every.single.night when his little sister stays dry.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We just started using the wetstop alarm with DD this week. I hope we have success!

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh I didn't read/remember the 14 day thing. Oops!

citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yay for your DD!

ETA You have to play her the Billy Bragg version of Woody Guthrie's "I Waked up in a Dry Bed, Mommy Come See." It's on the wonderful CD "Daddy O Daddy" and we sing it a lot around here!

for Sandy Hook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast