Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post
    He's formula fed. I did hear it does nothing for sleep, she didn't think it would work either. He's just so huge and drinks so many bottles I don't want him to be starving. He can't go more than six hrs without having a bottle.
    I would try some solids. If he is a big boy and drinking a ton of formula then it might be time to try some oatmeal ... or fruit or vegetables. I started my boys at around 4 months. DS1 LOVED solids. He gobbled down oatmeal like it was the best thing he had ever tasted... he was ready! he went through a lot of fruits and vegis pretty quickly and we got the go ahead on some chicken when he was 6 months old.

DS2 was interested but took longer to get the whole bring the food to the back of your mouth thing.... tongue was still thrusting forward... he liked it and kept opening his mouth but it was a bit of a mess. By around 5.5 months he was eating like a champ.

Both of my boys are big boys and have always been hearty eaters!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD had some peach & nectarine at about 4-ish months, but that's only because she lunged at the ones I was eating (they were very ripe) and I didn't bother to stop her.

We started solids in earnest when she could sit up on her own because, frankly, the thought of giving solid food to a child who had to be propped up scared the living snot out of me.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think we started right around 6 mos, maybe 5.5. Our pediatrician also said we could start at 4 mos but we were in no hurry and DD had no interest in food at that point anyways.
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

With DS1 we waited till 6 months.

With DS2 we also waited till 6 months, but he had zero interest till 8 months and then just ate everything on his own at that point (baby led weaning-- finger foods, no purees).

I haven't heard of a new earlier recommendation, but I have heard that if you wait till 6 months you can just give them anything after that. No delaying certain foods. So that's what we did with DS2.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

With DS, I waited until 7 months (because we were traveling around 6 months). But he showed all of the signs of readiness (sitting up, looking at our food with interest, etc.). We tried with dd earlier (since she was out first and didn't know to wait longer), but she wasn't interested until really late. With DS, we mainly did baby led solids. Neither of my kids were much into purees and preferred finger foods instead.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3