Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Feel awful how do I fix DD's diaper rash?

I don't know what else to do. On Thursday I started airing out her bottom multiple times a day and using cortaid along with the aquaphor we always use. No change so I sent DH to Target to buy the ingredients to make the pastes I found under old threads. Zinc oxide pastes, a&d ointment and maalox, but there was no maalox (DH checked his phone recalled? So he bought the target version). Thought we had Lotrimin but it expired in Oct but we used it anyway. We've been applying it at every diaper change, and we change very frequently and lots if naked time and naked sun time.

The little red dots are gone but now the rash is raised red flat inflamed looking skin if that makes sense. Does that sound like yeast? Do I need fresh Lotrimin? Do I need to call the Ped?

Thank you!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have there been any changes in your diapers or wipes? Even as simple as opening a new pack? Brands sometimes change ingredients without saying anything.

Has DC eaten a lot of any food like citrus or tomatoes?

If these aren't a cause I'd probably call the ped for ideas.

DD is EBF so no changes in her diet and I'm a very picky eater myself honestly so my diet really never varies. We may have recently opened a new pack of her Huggies Little Movers, we get Amazon S&S so all the packs are just in the closet so not sure exactly. Ugh.. You think same brand could cause this if different pack?

Never had any diaper rash with DS so this is all new to me!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yeah, the same brand can cause issues between packs if they change the way they make them. See old threads on pampers drymax and target diapers.

All of our rashes have been related to diapers (scented ones in general...) , food or antibiotic poop so I don't have experience with yeast. Hope you can resolve it soon!

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

IIRC, I did baking soda in the bath water, lots of naked butt time and Pinxav. You could also take some of the acid out of her diet for awhile too, if she's at that stage.
    It could be yeast and if doesn't clear up with the lotrimin, def. call the pediatrician.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

I did not deal with yeast, but my DS1 had horrible rush upfront right around the time we started solids... What helped me is I stopped using wipes (washed with water and padded the wet area with a towel), let him be without diapers, but when I needed to put then on, I applied corn starch... After we were done with rush, I moved him to CDs, then we never had any problems with that area. HTH.

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I did not deal with yeast either, but can tell you that coconut oil really worked well for us for a red bottom. hope it goes away soon.

The thing that worked best for us was cornstarch. The cornstarch really dried her up and got rid of the rash. No cream worked. Air time didn't work. Cornstarch worked! We did have a cream for yeast that we used on her neck when she was fat and little. I can't remember the name right now. Even that cream, though, didn't work as well on her rear as just keeping her dry, dry, dry with the powder.

My go to cure is Desitin (the purple tub), aquafor and neosporin. Apply very liberally, like you are icing a cupcake. Warm baths daily to soak the tushie and always pay dry. Same with wipes, pat don't wipe. I've never had a diaper rash last more than 24 hrs with this method.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD has a VERY sensitive bum.

After dealing with yeast- and yeast-like rashes for too many times (yeast can present like the bumps that some people/sites describe ... OR it can present as angry-red inflamed skin; my DD had angry red inflamed skin) I stopped using wipes for wet-only diapers - we use these butt sprays instead:

Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kissaluvs-Diap...+lotion+potion

Homestead Baby Diaper Wipe Companion:
    http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Wipe-Comp...ompanion+spray

For poopy diapers, I clean DD's bum with a wipe (or several) and then spritz the butt spray on her tush & wipe it dry with a washcloth or corner of a beach towel.

For overnight, we use butt spray plus a diaper area cream/ointment like either of these:

Burt's Bees Baby Bee Multipurpose Ointment:
    http://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Pet...iaper+ointment

Anti-Monkey Butt Baby Anti-Monkey Butt Cream:
    http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Monkey-Bu...per+rash+cream

Boudreaux's Butt Paste:
    http://www.amazon.com/Boudreauxs-But...27s+butt+paste (Though I've kind of soured on Boudreaux's, TBH.)

We also switched to cloth diapers overnight at 10 months after clearing a really bad yeast rash that was diagnosed when DD was 9 months old (we were traveling so cloth wasn't practical,) but I had a lot of help getting my CD stash started (my mother is a big CD fan, especially for babies with sensitive butts!) so it may not be a best-case for you.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast