Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Gorgeous dress! I think the *fabric*, as unique and beautiful as it is, is kinda antique looking which is what makes the dress seem a bit old, IMO. I think the cut of the dress makes it more youthful, although I could certainly picture a 50+ year old in it too. Like PP's said, I think it will come down to how you wear it. Have your hair done in a youthful way, wear amazing shoes and jewelry, and you're set! It is a rich, expensive looking dress IMO! Enjoy
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think that dress is gorgeous! But I would need to see it on you to get a better feel for whether it's too mother of the bride-ish on you. I think it could look gorgeous and sexy and classy and glamorous with heels, a stunning necklace (not sparkly since the dress is, but some kind of statement piece?) and an up-do. But I also think that it's key how you feel in the dress. If you only feel okay, and you feel too old in it, keep looking. As you said, this dress and this occasion are really important to you!
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

! I also think it's beautiful (though I also like the last dress pic you linked, too), and super classy! I honestly don't think it looks old, and I bet you'd look great in it!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think it looks great, not old ladyish at all! Enjoy wearing it!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't think it looks old at all....I think it's a gorgeous dress! But, I think the most important thing is that YOU feel like a million bucks in it. You have enough time to not have at settle for a dress that doesn't make you feel super confident.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like both options, and I think the low backs make them more youthful.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I really like the scoop neck dress. I think the sexy low back keeps it young I'm 41 and I'd wear that dress.

I agree this is a hard age. I don't want to look like some reality housewife trying too hard in too- young clothes but I don't want to look matronly. I thnk this dress strikes the right balance. Actually, I think they both do.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's funny because I really like the first dress and don't care for the second one at all. The first one looks much more classy to me. Maybe t is the difference between seeing them in photos of models vs. on you? Honestly I think either way you go you are going to look wonderful!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Just to clarify: none of these photos are of me. I am 5'2" and these are all 5'10" models in a size 4.The 3 photos are all of the same dress. The link is a different one.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Girl, that dress is stunning! I think when you don't have the body of Kate Moss (like myself), MANY of the polished youthful dresses make us look shapeless and heavy. I think b/c it's patterned all over, the fabric won't look bulky or make you look bottom-heavy.

Even as a 4/6, I would never wear a strapless dress (stretch marks near my underarms). I think dresses look youthful when they're worn by youthful women. A warm personality, modern hair, killer shoes (the kind that make your toes hurt--like Ivanka Trump), and a great little clutch will have the bride wishing she looks as good as you in a few years!
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast