Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Should I switch to cloth dipes?

As I recently posted DD has an awful diaper rash which I thought was healing but is worse again so I'm wondering if she just has really sensitive skin and I should consider cloth dipes? I just took the plunge and ordered supplies for cloth wipes based on LizzieWednesday's suggestions which I'm really hoping will help.

What would be the easiest for a newbie? I'm scared of a diaper sprayer! Sounds gross and hard time wise with two kids. What do you guys think could work for her tush but is easy? Thanks!!

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love Rumparooz. They are the easiest IMO and often the poop will just fall off if you shake it over the toilet.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

yeah...i say go for cloth. diaper rash was the main reason i switched with dd (she was 4 months) and i've used them ever since. my diapers are on baby #3 now and i'm planning to use them with #4.

we love bum genius OS pocket diapers with snaps. they are very easy to use, trim under clothes and wash/dry really fast. eta: we started with velcro, and have added a few with snaps, i like those better.

warning...poop ahead. (may be TMI)

is your daughter EBF? if so, that poo just washes right out, no stains or anything. i just tossed them straight into the wash, never had a sprayer. i will say, the next stage, when adding some solids, gives a more sticky but not really formed stool, its yuck. i just wiped what i could off with TP into the toilet and tossed the diaper in the wash. it was fine. its much easier then they get a little older, and the poo is more formed...it just falls right into the toilet.

i would get about 18 diapers if you can swing it...but with one size pockets, they will last you until potty training. that way you can wash every 2 days.
    Last edited by abh5e8; 01-23-2013 at 11:29 PM.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is she on soldis yet? EBF poop is easy, you don't have to rinse it off, or anything, it is water soluble, so you just throw them in the washer. Once she's on solids, you can add flushable liners to the diaper to avoid spraying during the sticky poop phase. although spraying takes an extra 10 seconds, not too time consuming.

I prefer Pocket diapers and AI2's. My current faves are Blueberry pockets and Tots Bots Easy fit. With DS I used Bumgenius one--size pockets and really liked them, too.

Cloth has been easier than expected. I've done it with both kids. DD gets rashes with huggies (used for travel or long outings) and they clear right up with cloth
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I really like pocket diapers and snap closure (vs velcro/Aplix closure). I didn't try many brands but my Fuzzibunz one-size fit DS1 through potty training, so almost 3 years of heavy use. DS2 just inherited them and they are still going strong. I also have a few BumGenius and liked those for nighttime but they are a little bulky for daytime use.

Whatever you choose I'd try a retailer that has a trial program like Nicki's diapers or Jillian's drawers. You can try a variety of brands that way.

We don't have a diaper sprayer and I just shake off whatever will shake off into the toilet and let the washer do the rest. I always wash my hands after diaper changes anyway so it isn't a big deal to just bring the diaper with me to the bathroom, shake it, put it in the pail and then wash my hands.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been cloth diapering DS1 since the day he was born and never used a diaper sprayer. We went from EBF poo to ploppable stuff so we have never needed a sprayer. Cloth is great. It can be intimidating when you research it but really it is so, so easy. And we've never had a diaper rash.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ExcitedMamma View Post
    What would be the easiest for a newbie? I'm scared of a diaper sprayer! Sounds gross and hard time wise with two kids. What do you guys think could work for her tush but is easy? Thanks!!
    All I've ever used are pocket diapers, so I'd consider them newbie-friendly. My stash is exclusively FuzziBunz One Size, although most of them are the older version (pre-FuzziBunz "Elite"). BumGenius is similar, as is Charlie Banana (which can be found online at Target.com, so if you have a Red Card, you can get 5% off plus free shipping). I'd recommend getting a diaper with snaps vs. velcro, as snaps are more durable and harder for toddlers to undo.

DD is 21 months old and I've been CDing since she was 12 weeks old. I don't use a diaper sprayer and don't see a need to. When DD was transitioning from being EBF to starting solids, I used diaper liners (they resemble thin dryer sheets) and that was helpful. But now I very rarely use them. The poop is solid enough, so I roll it into a ball and use toilet paper to pick it up and place it in the toilet.

Probably the hardest part of CDing is figuring out a wash routine that works for you. There are so many variables, that it can take quite a bit of trial and error to perfect a system. If you're interested in my routine, I mentioned it in another thread here. I have a stash of about 21 diapers and I wash them every other day (typically at night, so they have overnight to line dry). Because I can choose all my laundry settings at once (pre-wash plus extra rinse), probably the most time consuming is stuffing the pocket diapers... and as much as I procrastinate about it, it honestly only takes minutes, haha.

There are just a couple hard and fast rules about CDing. One: You have to use a cloth diaper safe diaper cream. My fave is Earth Mama Angel Baby's Bottom Balm. Two: No dryer sheets.

If you're interested in a trial program, I found this link via Google which lists quite a few of them: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=886295

I've also had huge success with hardly any diaper rash and it's definitely because of CDing. I love that it's so much nicer on DD's bum!!
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We use fitteds and flats. No stuffing, no PUL (some babies are sensitive). We use wool covers all year. DD is 9mo and still EBF so we haven't had to deal with icky poo...!

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My kids are sensitive to disposables and get rashes from them.

We use prefolds with thirsties pul covers and a snap to keep them closed. For cloth wipes I got some flannel/velour cloth wipes off etsy. I get them wet and put them in a plastic huggies wipes tub. 30 wipes is enough and if you have a friend that sews get some flannel baby blankets to cut up and double up in 6x6 squares.

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

To keep the wash routine really simple, I use flats folded into a pad and placed into a Flip cover. The flats are just cotton and they open up to wash, so they get clean really easily. The Flip cover is one sized, so it will last through PT. DD2 is just starting solids, so I use either a flushable liner or a rectangle of fleece to line the diaper. The poo plops right off the fleece into the toilet. It's all really easy to keep clean and easy for DH to use too, which is essential around here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast