♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default how many (training?) underwear?

So to my shock, DS' teacher mentioned at pickup yesterday that they'd like to try him wear underwear on Monday!! DS is still wearing diapers to school but has been sitting and actually using the potty there, and there have been a few days where he has stayed dry the entire day (8am-5pm) bc he used the potty instead. I asked about PullUps (which we happen to have a case of, gottten on clearance, it's been sitting in our closet for a year, lol) and the teacher said she thought they were a waste of time and are really expensive (which I kind of agree) and it is better to just go for using underwear from the get-go.

So, I believe DS currently has 9 pairs of Hanna training underwear, which DS loves and we have used often at home. they are great for containing a small amount (it's been rare he's actually peed enough through them to create a mess). He also has 4 pairs of others non training undies (Thomas, Gymboree, etc) but he tends to complain they hurt him so he never wants to wear them.

Anyway, for a newly PTing toddler (DS just turned 3), how many underwear do u suggest? Should I buy all trainers or buy some regular HA underwear (they seem to be cheaper, especially on sale!). Now that I WOH FT i try to limit doing laundry to once a week, though that may be a stretch at least in the beginning.

Anyway, can you tell, I am so excited. I am excited at the mere thought of sending a kid to school in underwear! Holy carp!!! I think i got RSI from changing so many dipes, LOL.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-25-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think we had about 12 pairs, a combo of Hanna trainers and some Gerber ones. DS didn't seem to have a preference. I think the trainers would be better to contain poop than regular underwear. We only had a couple of those accidents but the trainers were well worth it. And FYI - the Michigan City Hanna outlet had a good selection of boys unders and trainers at additional 30% off - I was just there the other day.
    DS age 9

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn't buy any more trainers. When we decided to PT, we used trainers for a total of 2 days, so more would've been a waste of money for us. I'd just send the trainers with him to school until he's doing well at school (let them do the PTing!). Then just use regular underwear at home Yay!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You'll need at least 7 pair (1 for each day of the week) then I'd figure you'll keep 2 or 3 pair as part of 2 or 3 complete changes of clothes (shirt, pants/shorts, socks, undies) in his cubby in case of accidents, so that brings us to about 10.

So ... I'd say about a dozen pair total, both trainers and regular undies of your DS's choosing.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With DD1 I had 3 pairs of Hanna trainers and 3 pairs of Gerber trainers. I also bought her a pack of 6 or 8 Dora underwear from Target.

DD2 has an 8 pack of Hello Kitty underwear from Target, 3 of the Dora panties left from DD1 (I swore I wouldn't reuse unders except training ones, but DD1 gave them to DD2), 2 or 3 Hanes (which run really small ime, a 4 is perfect for a small kiddo vs. the Hannas, Handcraft branded Dora, and Hello Kitty ones), six pairs of Hanna classic unders I got on sale from the outlet sale sometime last year. So including the training unders we are at about 24. It is a lot, but I felt weird not buying DD2 her own starter set of character undies as well.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD had 12 pairs of training underpants, and then a 3-pack of regular underwear. Honestly we could've gotten away with fewer but I'm lazy about doing laundry. Now that we're done w/the potty training phase she just wears the training pants as regular underwear, so I don't feel bad about having bought so many. I imagine she'll wear them until she outgrows them.

FWIW we bought and liked the Gerber training pants; nice thick cotton, don't seem to stain (we had a few poop incidents), and are holding up great. DD's been wearing them for about 6 months now, and based on how they're wearing I fully expect to hand them down to DD2 when she's ready. I don't think there's much of a difference between those and the HA ones except for price.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

....none? The potty training method we used didn't use any undies for the first 30 days. It makes it easier for the kids to pull down their pants to use the potty, less laundry when they do have accidents, and the ick factor of peeing or pooping directly on their pants without the containment of underwear was supposed to help the learning process. I was skeptical at first but it seemed to work well for us and several friends. It also gives you one more carrot because big boy underwear can be a reward for using the potty so well.

After the first month we went straight to regular underwear, no trainers

ETA: You might want to skip pants with a zipper during the commando training portion...
    Last edited by mikala; 01-25-2013 at 04:56 PM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You don't need more training undies unless you do laundry really infrequently. 9 is more than enough (we had 6 with DD1 and I bought 3 more for DD2 but we don't use all of them by laundry day. About the same # of regular undies once he's no longer in trainers. But for a while after PTing, you'll want to keep him in both. Don't rush out and buy anything yet!

for Sandy Hook

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i think we have 12 pair of the hanna trainers in XS. ds wore then until he out grew them and then i bought him small size regular underwear. it seemed easier to not have to buy 2 kinds in the same size