Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Need help finding book series like Ivy and Bean ASAP

DGD1 has loved books practically since birth but has been a reluctant independent reader. She's now at home for a monthlong recuperation and has started reading chapter books on her own (yay!). She is partway through the Ivy and Bean series and loves them -- the reading level and story level seem really good for her. I'm trying to find other similar series that she might like. (I looked through the recent thread about series books but couldn't tell what reading levels they were.) Also, other non-series book suggestions welcome.

Since I live in a different state, the best way I can help her feel better and occupy her while she gets well is to order books for her, but I'm out of touch with kids' lit. DGD1 is a very bright second-grader, interested in nature, science, history, traditional folk tales, but not scary stories or books with themes that are too mature. She listened to the Beverly Cleary Ramona books on CD and really liked them, but I'm not sure about their independent-reading level.

I've learned a lot from the BBB'ers and am counting on you all to help a worried grandma make her DGD feel better!

I'd suggest Katie Kazoo series - there are a lot of books.
    Various school, family or friend situations and when the magic wind blows Katie turns into someone else for a short period of time.

I've only read one Ivy and Bean and can't remember the reading level, but DD1 loves the early Betsy-Tacy books. I'm still reading them aloud to her, but I think the first three or four are about the same reading level as Little House. Once Betsy and Tacy get older and into high school, the reading level (and subject matter) goes up. If you're not familiar with them, they're about two best friends who live across the street from each other circa 1900. Betsy has a great imagination and makes up fanciful adventures for them.

We also love the Moffats series and Pye books by Eleanor Estes.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Seconding Katie Kazoo!

Also, we are reading the Ralph Mouse series at the moment. (The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Runaway Mouse and about to start Ralph S. Mouse.) The girls are loving it!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Another one I thought of is Judy Moody- I thought the reading level was higher but I think my DD just didn't get interested in them until after the movie and she was older. But I was at Target today and they were right next to ivy and Bean and seemed to be about the same reading level. You could do the movie "Judy moody and the not so bummer summer" to go along with books. My girls (4 and 9) watched it on Netflix on demand a zillion times (also while my older DD was layed up recovering from a bad arm fracture this summer)

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Magic Treehouse books are great, and there are a ton of them. The Clementine series is good. Junie B. Jones is pretty easy (I don't love all the themes though). The various Fairy magic series books are easy readers (Rainbow Fairies, Night Fairies, Music Fairies, etc). Pony Pals were a big hit here and can be ordered online. There are tons more but those are the first that come to mind. GL!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Clementine is a pretty funny series. I also want to highly recommend books on audio. That is how I get my kids hooked on books they think they don't want to read.

Quote Originally Posted by cilantromapuche View Post
    Clementine is a pretty funny series. I also want to highly recommend books on audio. That is how I get my kids hooked on books they think they don't want to read.
    I just checked with my DIL and they apparently do have all the Clementine books. And DGD1 *loves* books in audio and insists on hearing one for any car ride of more than a few minutes. (I first heard Clementine in the car while visiting!)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. These give me a number of options to try. More suggestions still welcome -- I'll be seeing DGD1 in a couple of weeks.

One more question -- any feedback on the Just Grace series? I saw that mentioned in another thread.

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is a good wizard for reading levels:
    http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast