Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Um...can we talk training bras?

I vaguely remember, definitely by fourth grade, wearing a training bra. (I know which grade because I broke my collarbone at the end of fourth grade and was *beyond* embarrassed that my (male) pediatrician saw it during my exam.)

DD1 (8+) was just getting ready for bed (something she typically does without parental involvement, but for whatever reason came and asked me something while half dressed) and I nearly gasped when I saw how much...umm...definition she's starting to have. It's probably not quite enough for a training bra yet, but we're certainly headed in that direction soon.

So.

What do I need to know?

Should I just start with undershirts/camisoles at this point? How do I know when it's really no longer optional? Where does one buy these things now? So, so, so not ready for this stage!!

(Also, this does not mean all the other changes are imminent, right? We've got some time?)

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's scary entering this new world...every time I see DD come out of the shower I almost cry thinking how quickly she's growing up..

My DD started with the 'Bralette', it's like a cami but only goes to the chest, not all the way down, it's really just another layer, no support. They are all over, ranging in colors and sizes. We also have a few sports bras. They are mostly useful to get them used to wearing something under their tops.

I've also started buying more patterned tops and steering away from plain fitted tshirts.

She is 9.5 but has really started to develop this last year and we have moved to a full on "bra", we chose the one's from Justice that are triangle shaped, they have no underwire but have some lining, actually it's a removable liner, it isn't a molded cup doesn't add but rather provides some modesty. These are really soft and she says they're comfy.

http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-clo...es/bras?page=1

We found a nude one without the bright heart on it so it doesn't show through her white tops. I always buy with a 40% off coupon.

It comes in nude, black and white and has the bra hook at the back.

I also saw some Maidenform ones at Walmart tonight, it was hard to find one that didn't have "molded cups" or underwire, but I did find one style that we'll try.

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We're not there but while browsing, I saw some training bras on Next.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    It's scary entering this new world...every time I see DD come out of the shower I almost cry thinking how quickly she's growing up..
    Sorry, but I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one!

Thanks for the ideas of where to look. I saw some on Children's Place's website, but they're online only for some reason. We haven't ventured into Justice yet, but we do have one in our mall.

How many do we need to start with? I mean, I wear my own bras more than once before washing (obviously as long as they don't get super sweaty or anything) I'm assuming she could wear these a couple of times before washing?

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No suggestions for you, but in terms of how long you have for other changes, I remember it was about a year and a half between the first signs of puberty (breast buds, first armpit hair) and getting my period. All the best with this next phase of parenting.

for Sandy Hook

Kohls has some great inexpensive options for training bras on up.

http://www.kohls.com/catalog/kids-gi...?CN=3000002043
    DD1 Jan '10
    DD2 Jan '12

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know they are sold at Target but not sure which brands or quality. I get teary thinking about DC growing up!
    K

OK, so DD1 and I had to go do some other shopping today anyway - I swear the kid outgrows long pants at the end of January like clockwork every single year.

We found some "bralette" possibilities at JCPenney, but I had her try them on and she's really not quite there yet. But now we know where to find them when she is! She was pretty excited about the idea in the car, but when it came down to it - I would have bought her one even though I don't think she's quite ready - she asked if we could wait a little bit longer.

Oh, and I bravely took her into Justice just to see. Now I know for certain she's not ready for that store. All she wanted to look at were the tchochkis - the giant erasers, the pencils with the mustaches on the ends, the gigantic stuffed animals, the lip balm. I figured all the glittery clothes would at least attract some attention, I mean, she does gravitate towards the most glittery graphic tees in Children's Place, but nope. I don't think she even realized they sold clothes.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So glad you posted this - I had something similar happen when DD (just turned 9) got out of the shower the other day. She has a slight indentation in her chest (and always had) that has given her the very very vague impression of where her breasts will be at least since 3. (Maybe earlier). I think there's more definition that there was, and was wondering if it's time to do something.

So far, nothing 'shows' in clothes. Glad to know that the slight 'bralette' was too big - guessing it would be here as well, and that it will annoy DD to wear another layer. Good to know where to look when it's time.

If you're considering Justice, their clothes hold up surprisingly well. We have undies from there that have lasted easily til outgrown.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    Sorry, but I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one!

Thanks for the ideas of where to look. I saw some on Children's Place's website, but they're online only for some reason. We haven't ventured into Justice yet, but we do have one in our mall.

How many do we need to start with? I mean, I wear my own bras more than once before washing (obviously as long as they don't get super sweaty or anything) I'm assuming she could wear these a couple of times before washing?

Thanks!
    Sarah
    DD now has about 5 bras, she says she has officially outgrown the cami style bras...we have about 10 of those in various styles and colors.

I also recommend the American Girl book "The Care and Keeping of You", it's a very well written book, illustrations that are not really cartoons but not too graphic. The book covers all aspects of your body, puberty, hygiene, dental care, sleep, feelings, etc BUT NOT SEX. It does go into good detail about what happens during your period and even talks about how to insert a tampon...hoping maybe DD will get that one on the first try...she swims every day all summer and will have to use tampons when that arrives!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast