Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think a lot of girls wear a camisole as well, it's sort of the style and it gets you used to wearing something. I know DD wore a camisole under a lot of tshirts that gaped or had large arm openings.

I agree the so soft fabric on the underwear/bras at Justice are really nice, wish they made my size.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I think a lot of girls wear a camisole as well, it's sort of the style and it gets you used to wearing something. I know DD wore a camisole under a lot of tshirts that gaped or had large arm openings.
    Obviously, I don't have a dd, but one of my friends was talking about this with us about her dd and she also mentioned that her dd preferred the camisole style. I'd let her pick which one she'd like when she's ready, but if she feels a little bit self conscious, then maybe the cami would be a nice extra layer for now.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

mattiew is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just bought DD basic camis from the Gap.
    http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...&pid=515493002
    She is very particular about how clothing feels and sensitive about "growing" up; she is willing to wear these. They are a full length cami with a half lining in the top. Good luck - it is such an emotional time for all of us (I'm not ready either).

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

OP, I agree with the cami approach. Petit Bateau also sells some sweet, mostly cotton training bras - I've seen them on the PB website and in stores.

for Sandy Hook

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Almost 10 yo (barely developing) DD wears camis with and without a shelf bra, bralettes and sports bras from Target. Justice and Gap also have some good ones. As for quantity they need as many as they do underwear...one clean cami per day.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    OP, I agree with the cami approach. Petit Bateau also sells some sweet, mostly cotton training bras - I've seen them on the PB website and in stores.
    I love petit bateau but have never seen the training bras. Thanks citymama!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    DD now has about 5 bras, she says she has officially outgrown the cami style bras...we have about 10 of those in various styles and colors.

I also recommend the American Girl book "The Care and Keeping of You", it's a very well written book, illustrations that are not really cartoons but not too graphic. The book covers all aspects of your body, puberty, hygiene, dental care, sleep, feelings, etc BUT NOT SEX. It does go into good detail about what happens during your period and even talks about how to insert a tampon...hoping maybe DD will get that one on the first try...she swims every day all summer and will have to use tampons when that arrives!
    Yep, we have that book, and DD1 thinks the idea of starting her period is so exciting. I want to tell her that it's not really all that great, but hey, she'll figure it out herself, right? I agree with the about tampons. I just skipped swimming for a week out of every month in the summer for a long time because I could not get the hang of it.

We have a couple of camis that I already have her wear under some of her shirts (the dolman tops that seem to be popular right now are not so great on a long torso). Maybe I'll pick up a few more and just try get her in the habit of wearing one under more shirts. I do think we can wait a bit on anything more serious, nothing seems to be showing under clothes, and the bras we found ("crop bras" by Maindenform) were definitely too big still.

Thanks again for all the ideas and commiseration. I know it's the natural way of things, but I am just not ready to start seeing her as a growing girl...

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD wore the camis with the extra lining for a long time. She graduated to Justice training bras in December. They have a whole range of sizes and I've been happy with the quality.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD is almost 10 and has started to develop. You can definitely see the outline of her breast buds through her clothes. She is growing up too fast! I got her some cami bras from Old Navy: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=253831002
    I got white, which it looks like they are sold out of. She finds them comfortable. I like the Justice soft cup bras. I think those will be our next step.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I got mine in the 5th grade because everyone else had them and I still had minimal boobs, but convinced my mom I needed one anyways. Thankfully she got it. I knew other girls I had them in the 4th grade so I don't think 9 is not that put of the ordinary. I am pretty sure some of the older 9 yr. old girls at DD1's school in the 3rd grade wear them now (her school has a 9-1 cut off date). One of DDs friend's sisters in 3rd grade wears a sports bra, she was walking around the house in one when I was dropping something off for their parents. I love my Wacoal bralettes so I would probably look for something like that, but if you think wires and or support might be a necessity it doesn't hurt to start with some of the soft Playtex bras and Kohls, amd Target/Wal Mart/Kmart should have those. I got mine at Mervyns.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast