Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Carriers for Toddlers

I didn't really see a whole lot on this topic when I searched. Perhaps I missed some, but I will ask anyway.

I have a 3 year old (in Feb) who is about 30lbs. I am looking for a soft carrier for trips/light hiking/walks/outdoors stuff to carry her comfortably in.

Over new year's we went on a cruise and I borrowed a friend's Ergo to use. I've had Ergos in the past and loved them. She was fine in it, and I find them comfortable to wear her in. But because they have a shorter back - I'm not sure how a 3.5yr old would feel in it.

We are taking a month long trip to Utah this summer and I plan on being outdoors a lot. I know she won't be able to keep up, so want the carrier for her.

I've been looking at a Boba carrier (original - don't need the infant ability in the 3G) and the Tula Toddler carrier. I think the foot stirrups in the Boba would be helpful for a 3.5 yr old. The Tula is more expensive - but the Tula Toddler is specifically made for toddlers and small young children, so I know I would get several more years of use out of it.

Anyone familiar with these, or know where I could possibly find them in a B&M store?

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is there a babywearing group near you that might have them for loan?

For starters, let's address the Ergo. It's great, I love it, but my DD is a "leaner" so I had started to look into taller-bodied carriers once her leaning away from me started to hurt my back. I am VERY fortunate to have a babywearing group local to me who has been an absolute g-dsend in getting wrap carries "right", using infant inserts and learning back-carry "tosses."

I have seen the Tula in person, but opted not to try it, having known a girl with that name in the past who was BAD NEWS. I didn't want to get a carrier with her name on it! HOWEVER, people who have it absolutely adore it. One woman in my BW-ing group got one for Christmas and posted her excited unboxing photos to our FB group!

The Boba 3G is actually pretty comfy IME, and as there's no separate infant insert, you wouldn't be losing anything by going with it over an orignal. And, frankly, the prints are all pretty cute.

And, of course, there's the KinderPack Toddler, which I treated myself to in November.

My DD (who will be 3 in March - she weighs 33-ish lbs & is about 36" tall) fits in it with room to grow. We just used it on our recent trip out to AZ ... and she spent her ENTIRE nap in it while DH & I walked around Old Town Scottsdale, weaving our way through several groups of rowdy Oregon Ducks and K-State Wildcats fans. I cannot rave enough about this carrier!!! (And it's made in the USA, too. The woman who owns the company sews them with a few friends near her home in IL.)

HTH!
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 01-08-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Is there a babywearing group near you that might have them for loan?

For starters, let's address the Ergo. It's great, I love it, but my DD is a "leaner" so I had started to look into taller-bodied carriers once her leaning away from me started to hurt my back. I am VERY fortunate to have a babywearing group local to me who has been an absolute g-dsend in getting wrap carries "right", using infant inserts and learning back-carry "tosses."

I have seen the Tula in person, but opted not to try it, having known a girl with that name in the past who was BAD NEWS. I didn't want to get a carrier with her name on it! HOWEVER, people who have it absolutely adore it. One woman in my BW-ing group got one for Christmas and posted her excited unboxing photos to our FB group!

The Boba 3G is actually pretty comfy IME, and as there's no separate infant insert, you wouldn't be losing anything by going with it over an orignal. And, frankly, the prints are all pretty cute.

And, of course, there's the KinderPack Toddler, which I treated myself to in November.

My DD (who will be 3 in March - she weighs 33-ish lbs & is about 36" tall) fits in it with room to grow. We just used it on our recent trip out to AZ ... and she spent her ENTIRE nap in it while DH & I walked around Old Town Scottsdale, weaving our way through several groups of rowdy Oregon Ducks and K-State Wildcats fans. I cannot rave enough about this carrier!!! (And it's made in the USA, too. The woman who owns the company sews them with a few friends near her home in IL.)

HTH!
    Just started looking at the Kinderpack Toddler carrier. It looks great too. So you have the Toddler size? And she still has room to grow? Trying to find a good reference for the size difference between the Toddler and the Preschool size. My daughter is average size for her age, if not on the smaller side. Thinking the Preschool size might be too big to be comfortable.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I bought a patapum toddler off ebay for my long torsoed DS. I haven't used it since he was about 2 1/2 but it worked great and he was definitely 35#+ at the time.
    DS 2/09

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    Just started looking at the Kinderpack Toddler carrier. It looks great too. So you have the Toddler size? And she still has room to grow? Trying to find a good reference for the size difference between the Toddler and the Preschool size. My daughter is average size for her age, if not on the smaller side. Thinking the Preschool size might be too big to be comfortable.
    Yes, I have the KP Toddler and DD is comfy, snuggly and has plenty of room to grow into it. I think that, based on your description of your DD, you would regret purchasing a Preschool size. Get the Toddler.

It's taller & wider than our Ergo, but that's what I was looking for - something with a wider seat so that I could do more/wear her longer with better support for her backside & thighs ... and something that was tall enough to keep her from arching her back & leaning away from me. The Toddler size is PERFECT for us.

My DD is a solidly-built 33-ish pounds and she is tall (poor kid has no shot at being petite - I am 5'8" and DH is 6'4") but she & I are very comfy in our KP! Seriously, I love it.

If you have trouble, Melissa, the owner of KinderCarry, is VERY helpful via e-mail and on Facebook.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was looking for something similar for our 25 pound 2yo. I almost got a kinderpack but decided to do a structured backpack which we've really ended up loving. I know it's not what you're looking for but just thought I'd pass it on in case. It's the Deuter Kid Comfort II.

I don't mind structured packs, they just weren't what I was looking for. She likes to walk most of the time, so it's empty a lot of the time, so when she's not in it, I just wear it around my waist. But if it was only for hiking or zoo trips, a structured carrier might have been better. But this is something I leave in the car and use on a spur of the moment situation typically.

I ended up ordering a kindercarry carrier toddler size that will hopefully be arriving soon. I got the Celtic knot pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post

I ended up ordering a kindercarry carrier toddler size that will hopefully be arriving soon. I got the Celtic knot pattern.
    I hope you'll love yours as much as I love mine!

Also, the greatest thing about KinderPack is they have an elastic loop sewn into the interior above the waist belt that you can use to keep it safely folded in your car. (This loop was awesome when we were traveling because it made it easy to stow our KP on the plane, among other things.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Did you order a Kinderpack, or a Kindercarry? Pack = buckles, easy on/off, and carry = have to tie everything. ETA: nm, I see that she only has KPs in stock right now. I loved mine, and am now thinking about trying it again with my 3yo!
    Last edited by pastrygirl; 01-16-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    Did you order a Kinderpack, or a Kindercarry? Pack = buckles, easy on/off, and carry = have to tie everything. ETA: nm, I see that she only has KPs in stock right now. I loved mine, and am now thinking about trying it again with my 3yo!
    She no longer sells the mei tei KinderCarry in favor of the SSC/buckles of the KinderPack.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast