Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fedoragirl View Post
    Do you buy your DC's clothes from certain places or will any place do?
    Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes?
    Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing?
    Do you ooh-and--aah over vintage items (read DH's baby clothes that MIL insists you have) or you put them in the discard pile?

I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general? I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    It depends on the child. My oldest 2 girls get from target, old navy, basement boutiques, gap, mini boden, the whole gamut. My son fits best into j&j and mini boden pants so I buy a lot of those and I adore the shirts from both companies. DD3 does best with Tea. Pretty much her entire wardrobe is tea. The baby has everything from old navy, gap, Carter's, boden, and of course tea.

I buy on consignment and also from eBay.

I try very hard not to. I like my friends and I only want to think well of them.

I also get clothes my mother saved from me and my siblings - gorgeous sweaters old stretchies and everything in between. Also my mil's youngest is 10 months older than my oldest and she sometimes sends us things. I'm grateful for what I get.

jvs195 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I buy from lots of places, but stick with brands I know, wear well and potentially have resale or hand-me-down value. Gap, LE, Gymboree, Hanna, Boden, Tea Collection and Polaryn O Pyret
    Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes? Both - but I look for same brands and consignment pieces for jeans and other staples
    Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing? Not at all, I like to shop, I like to spend the time and money so that's my prerogative
    Do you ooh-and--aah over vintage items (read DH's baby clothes that MIL insists you have) or you put them in the discard pile?
    Not really many keepers since they were not great brands and those mystery stains sure do reappear after 40+ years.

I'm pretty sure my MIL thinks I am but really I think I'm just picky.

I like nice quality and and don't like certain styles but shop all over the place - I admit my favorites are Mini Boden, Hanna and Tea but I'm always checking out TCP, Osh Kosh, Target, Gap, ON, H&M, Next, Gymbo, etc. for cute stuff - particularly t-shirts the tickle my fancy. Also I love Carter's fleece footed PJs for DS.

Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes?
    DS has gotten some handme-downs I really like and I have bought plenty of used stuff from resale boards, consignmwnt and eBay

Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing?
    Not at all! Generally I only notice if I see a boy in some thing cute. And girls are generally a blur of all shades of pinks and purples to me.

Thankfully this has not been an issue.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Do you buy your DC's clothes from certain places or will any place do? I definitely *favor* certain brands (Hanna and Naartjie) but it's definitely a balance between cost, timing and what we actually need. Shoes from Kmart yesterday, hoodies from Walmart today. What it comes down to is, I refuse to pay full price! And honestly, 50% off is only just ok....

We all wear a lot of used from consignment sales, thrift stores and for DS, handmedowns. The only one who shops 100% new is DH.
    No, definitely not.
    I love old stuff in general but that doesn't mean it's my taste and baby clothes from 30 years ago would probably not past the test.
    I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general? I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    That's awful and pathetic. How in the world can she actually say anything like that?!?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5