Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Are you a brand snob?

Do you buy your DC's clothes from certain places or will any place do?
    Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes?
    Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing?
    Do you ooh-and--aah over vintage items (read DH's baby clothes that MIL insists you have) or you put them in the discard pile?

I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general? I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

--I would hate to consider myself a snob, but I do tend to shop at 3-4 places for new clothing. I shop exclusively online with free ship at mini Boden, Carters, occasionally TCP. I do phone or online orders at Hanna Andersson (usually outlets) and Tea Collection. In store, I think the only place I shop is Target!
    --I am great with used clothing if it's in good shape. We get a lot of hand-me-down clothing from my sister. I also buy kids' clothes on eBay. Our consignment store is really awful ($10 for used Circo clothing!) so I never shop there, but I've bought kids clothes at Goodwill without a second thought.
    --Do not look down on anyone's clothes although I am not a fan of hoochie mama styles for kids. To each their own. I am a little shocked by some of the kids I see in multiple pairs of Uggs and other pricey shoes, just because I know how much they cost!
    --I don't like vintage (i.e. 50 year old) clothing except for very special occasions. Both girls wore the same sweater home from the hospital that their dad wore home from hospital - knitted by HIS grandma. It's a family heirloom.
    Last edited by citymama; 01-29-2013 at 04:55 PM.

for Sandy Hook

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Any place with a good sale or good prices will do. DD wears Gymboree, Carters, Osh Kosh, Children's Place, Wal-mart, Old Navy. I would love to have more dresses from Tea Collection, but will have to wait for a great sale!

Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes?
    I only buy new clothing because it's more convenient for me to buy online or certain B&M stores and I don't have the time or patience to shop at consignment stores.

Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing?
    No.

Do you ooh-and--aah over vintage items (read DH's baby clothes that MIL insists you have) or you put them in the discard pile?
    Haven't been offered any vintage items.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

humm brand snob for kids clothes. I guess maybe but I don't think of it that way. I tend to buy stuff that I know will hold up (DS2's clothes are almost all hand me down) and that wash well that don't itch or otherwise cause issues.

90% of my kids clothes I order online, brands that work for us include
    Lands End (virtually all pants come from here -- because they dont get holes in the knees easily)
    LL Bean (virtually all outerwear comes from here)
    Hanna Andersson (all unders and PJs come from here)
    Shirts and tops come from a variety of places (Boden, Nordstroms, Gap, Old Navy, random sports teams, Champion/Target, Lands End) as they wear well and kids just aren't as hard on these as the other clothes IME
    Socks come from Target
    Shoes come from whatever the kids pick (but generally New Balance for DS1 -- XW foot; and Stride Right or Nordstroms for DS2)

I will buy the occasional item from somewhere else in a pinch of if the boys really want something and we need that thing. I would never mention labels that another parent puts on their kids. Oh and I only buy new items. No issue with hand me downs (I wish I had someone hand me stuff!) or issues with consignment but when we need something I order it. The ONLY time I've mentioned brands was to my sister who was horrified I was buying her DS1 pants from Lands End at those prices and I said they were better than the gap pants (1/2 the price) because they'd last for a year vs Gap which we wear through in one day.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

-if I see something cute, I buy it if budget allows. I only shop at cheap places so that helps. Gap, TCP, H&M...

-I typically buy new b/c I am too lazy to go to the consignment store and root through the choices.

-No, that'd be hypocritcial of me bc we buy cheap clothes.

-not my thing. I'll save it for sentimental reasons though.

I do buy nicer winter gear (LL Bean) and good shoes (Keens in the summer, Merrells, New Balance and other good sneakers)

I buy 90% of their clothes from TCP because its usually the best quality for the lowest price. Most things I buy are below $3/piece when I pull the trigger. DD also has a lot of tea collection, DS isn's so lucky since I don't find the boys stuff to be as good of a deal. MIL buys the kids stuff from HA, Janie & Jack, and Gymboree.

All new. I don't have anything against consignment I just tend to do all my shopping online.

Not out loud. Sometimes I wonder why some kids are always wearing sweat pants and not even cute sweat pants. On the other end of the spectrum I also look at some of the German kids and wonder how much some of their denim costs since it looks very stylish and seems over designed for a kindergartener.

I am unimpressed with vintage. I don't throw it away either. It tends to just hang in the closet and not get used.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

- I buy DC's clothes from a few places mainly because I am familiar with their sizing. A large percentage of their clothes are from LE. DS1 had a lot of Gymbo and Janie and Jack when he was younger, which has been passed to DS2. We have a handful of items from LL Bean, Boden, Hanna, Target.
    - Most of their clothing is new as I've not had much luck with consignment stores.
    - no
    - We have not been given any vintage clothing.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There are certain stores that I prefer in terms of style, but I would buy things anywhere as long as they seem like they'll hold up. I don't like buying "disposable" clothing-- I never feel like it's worth it in the end.

Yes, I really only buy DD new clothing, but I've certainly looked for good consignment. I've never found the kind of items people on the BBB seem to find in consignment shops.

No, of course not. Referring to answer #1, DD wears "cheap" clothing, as long as it's not going to fall apart after one wear.

Not really. I don't have any vintage items of mine or DH's, and that's fine.

I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general? I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    In general, I know what styles I like and I think flatter DD and are age-appropriate. I'm completely open beyond that. Yes, I like some Boden, Gap and HA, but if I could (and sometimes can) find knockoffs of those styles, I'm thrilled.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We tend to buy most of DDs' clothing from consignment shops. I've gotten a few things new, mostly from Kohl's or target. We have only bought shoes from robeez, seekairun, peddled, or keens.

Mostly used. Very rarely new, generally just footwear. I don't like used footwear.

Not in the least for cost, but there are styles I consider trashy that I do judge a bit. Gangsta life clothes for babies, hoochie mama stuff, things like that.

Don't like it. At least what we've gotten often seems to be made out of polyester or other fibers we don't usually use, or it's a bizarre style.

I buy most of DD's clothes at Gymboree on sale, usually cheaper than I can find things at Target. When I'm near it I stop at the gymboree outlet and have found so great deals there. I have purchased items at Walmart when they met our needs. DS gets a lot of clothes from JC Penney on sale. I have found LS T shirts there for $1 and $2 each. I do buy higher end brands like Tea when I find a really good sale. I did buy some things at Shopco once but they were terrible, they washed up horribly. THey shrank up and twisted, not a good buy IMO.

I only buy new because I can find such good deals its the same price as used lots of time. I'm not good at digging and finding the gems like others I know.

No, I think there are much more important things to spend your money on (or to save it for).

MIL gave DS some of DH's old things, I had him wear them just for the fun of wearing something that use to be his dad's. I have a shirt that my grandmother made for my dad, I had DS wear it a few times and I hope to my grandson will wear it one day too.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast