Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you buy your DC's clothes from certain places or will any place do?
    Kind of. We buy Lands End pants and HA double knee cargo pants only because he gets holes in the knees in three weeks if we don't. He pretty much only likes comfy clothing, so sweatpants reign supreme. We have very few pants to pass down because of this. DS3 was crazy small and has a hard time holding up certain brands of sweatpants - TCP sweatpants are his fav. Tshirts I don't really care about. My twins wear a lot of superhero junkfood stuff, some of which are hand me downs, while ds1 wears sports stuff or tie dye for LE.

I am definitely a coat snob. It obviously gets very cold here so a super warm coat is very important. We also walk quite a bit in all kinds of weather. I only like coats with nonfussy VERY easy zippers. Patagonia and Lands End seem to be my gotos for warmth and easy zippers. Sometimes Lands End is weird though. The Squalls run really big while the sleeves are oddly tight.

I am also a shoe snob. Maybe because I have boys, they tend to wear Tskukihoshi or NB sneakers and Keens (either summer or winter styles).

Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes?
    We buy at sales and outlets (Patagonia). Sometimes I feel my house is a consignment shop. I don't specifically seek out consignment, although I think it's a great idea.

Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing?
    I do not look down at kids' cheap clothing. My guys wear a ton of ON tshirts or sweatpants. I dislike it when kids wear ill fitting sneakers or destroyed sneakers with holes.

Do you ooh-and--aah over vintage items (read DH's baby clothes that MIL insists you have) or you put them in the discard pile?
    We don't have any vintage items.

I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general? I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    I really don't care what my kids wear as long as whatever they want to wear is weather and event appropriate. For church, they wear Lands End cargo pants and rugbys. They can't wear sneakers there either. I don't even have a problem with sweatpants with holes, unless it is really freezing outside (like ten degrees).

Kind of - I usually don't bother with Target as I can normally get Gap/Gymbo at those prices. I usually resale and those brands retain value so I make money back. A mix of both new and "pre-loved."

I spend a bit more on Hanna/Tea as they tend to last and again resale counted in make them cheaper than WM or Target in most cases.

I only pay attn if kids look overdone or wearing insanely expensive items like Uggs.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Before dd graduated to H & M, forever 21, and... heaven help me… Wet Seal, I was a quality and style snob (vs. brand). I found a few great things at TCP, Target, certainly Carters, but overall I preferred unique items from NR and Boden, HA, Naartjie, Le Top, Gap and Gymbo, plus other boutique brands. ETA: Lands End!! How could I forget?? And I buy most of it heavily discounted..

Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes?

I gladly take hand-me-downs as long as they are in decent shape and comfy. DS wears a lot of Old navy and Target hand-me-downs to school, but I will admit when he is around me all day I like to see him in my fave brands!

I also used to buy a lot of second hand clothing.

Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing?

No. If anything it makes me feel embarrassed that I obsess too much over this!

Do you ooh-and--aah over vintage items (read DH's baby clothes that MIL insists you have) or you put them in the discard pile?

If it worked out for my kids, I would consider it.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 01-29-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I tend to buy from certain places, but not completely out of snobbishness! Mostly, I gravitate to certain styles and once I become a familiar with a company I know their sizing, which makes shopping significantly easier for me and takes out a lot of the guesswork, particular with a growing baby!

I only buy new. When my daughter was younger she was given some hand-me-downs from friends which we used.

Not at all. I am not a fan of "wordy clothes" and I dislike clothes for little girls that say things like "diva".

My mother gave me some of my old sweaters that my grandmother knitted me when I was little. Most of them are still too big for my daughter. I would never throw them out, of course, too much sentimental value. But I can't really see using them either.

I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general? I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    We have several go-to brands:
    • Hanna Anderson
    • Tea Collection
    • Target (Circo separates are great for the baby phase)
    • I used to buy Carters but disliked how many babies seemed to be wearing the same outfit!
    Last edited by LizLemon; 01-29-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Well, I return to the same places, but am open to new things. DDs' clothes are mostly: (in descending order) LE, Tea Collection, mini-Boden, H&M, Gap, and Old Navy (love their $5 fleeces for layering for outside recess in winter).

I very rarely buy something at our moms of multiples consignment sale, but honestly I am such a good bargain hunter I don't save all that much. Something has to really grab me.

No. I would not like myself much if I did. Ugh.

We've never received any.

I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    And you're friends why?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

1. I am not a brand snob although I do buy a lot of my girl's clothes from better brands like Hanna Andersson, Gap Kids (although this kind of hit or miss) and Gymboree. I like brands that make kids clothes that are age appropriate. My DD1's wardrobe would come from Carter's if they made sizes 7+. Old Navy, Gap Kids, and TCP are becoming staples in her wardrobe again. I don't dislike Justice, but much preferred the preppy Lily Pulitzer look of Limited Too, which my little sister shopped at in the late 90s/early 2000s as a tween/pre teen. If I could afford it I do love Lily Pulitzer's style and gravitate towards that style when Gap Kids trends that way (and if their current offerings so far for Spring are any indication I think it might). I like the look of Mini Boden as well, just haven't bought any for DD1 yet, except a night gown. DD2 got lots of Baby Boden. Both of girls get a fair amount of Target brand clothes.

2. I don't have the patience for thrift stores, and I think I get a better deal on Ebay than the local consignment stores. I have no issues with hand me downs either.

3. No I do not look down at what other kids wear if it is cheaper looking clothes, although I don't care for dressing kids in non age appropriate clothes. Although on a side note I think it is hilarious when I go to theme parks and see non twins in head to toe Gymboree perfectly coordinated just like on the website. I get that it could be a good idea if your kids get lost, but still it is a tad rediculous IMHO.

4. Sometimes I have a soft spot for vintage clothes, but they aren't worn all of the time. Here is a photo of some dresses I wore as a child. My mom also wore the one DD1 is wearing, and my grandma made the one DD2 is wearing. I am not sure DD1 will wear her dress again, but the one DD2 is wearing should fit for Easter. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359503536.368490.jpg

5. We are middle class as well and I guess some could look at my kids and wonder where the cheap clothes are, but if we are out at church, preschool/daycare or a birthday party I like them to look presentable. A play date at the park or the back yard then yes we have plenty of cheaper play worthy clothes.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-29-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Any brand that fits well works for me.

Most is used. I buy as little new as possible.

Nope.

Never really came up.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars a year on kid's clothes. I buy from mom2mom sales, garage sales, and Salvation Army quite a bit. I try to avoid consignment stores because they tend to be pricier.
    Kris

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Lol, I buy my kids clothes purely through clearance sales. If there happen to be some name brands for cheap, then great. However, most stuff are target and dept store's own brand. Maybe some old navy. That's about it. We have family members who are name brand snobs and mostly they are the ones who give my kids the nicer brands as gifts or hand me downs. I wasn't allowed to wear brand name clothes as a kid (extremely cheap parents), and while I won't forbid my kids to wear name brands, to me it's just clothes. I do realize that in certain crowds it matters. I just tend to avoid those crowds. My kids do not take care of their clothes, so I feel it's a waste to spend too much on it. When they're teens and want a certain brand and will take care of it, maybe I'll reconsider.

I do want to say that when I buy clothes from the thrift store, I am much pickier an will only buy nicer brands. That's the one time I get picky with name brands for clothes.
    Last edited by hellokitty; 01-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Annie, your daughters are gorgeous and those dresses are beautiful. I love vintage and would gladly put them on my kids if the fabric was cotton or something like that.

And to answer my own question: yes, I am a complete brand snob. BBB turned me into one.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Annie, your girls are ADORABLE!

for Sandy Hook

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast