Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Do you buy your DC's clothes from certain places or will any place do?
    DS will be four next month. I mostly buy online from Carters and OshKosh. I also buy from Children's Place but less now since they tend to have a lot of skulls on their boys clothing. I also buy jeans from Target.com and corduroy pants from JCPenney because they have pull-ons that fit my tall, thin child. I have also bought a few things from Crazy 8 and, just recently, Gymboree. For shoes, I started with Stride Rite, but now I just buy Keen and Converse.

Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes?
    I buy only new. I am too lazy to hit the consignment sales. I much prefer to shop online.

Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing?
    Um, no. I have too many other things to think about and get done.

Do you ooh-and--aah over vintage items (read DH's baby clothes that MIL insists you have) or you put them in the discard pile?
    Love, love, love vintage pieces. My godmother gave me a bagful of clothes she had bought her son from Chocolate Soup. I love dressing DS in those cute embellished shortalls with Peter Pan collars!

I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general?
    In general, I look for the best fit and quality that I can afford. I always buy on sale with an additional coupon code (except for shoes). I look for nice shirts that do not have obnoxious sayings and pull-on pants/shorts that have adjustable waists, if necessary.

I do tend to buy primarily from the same brand stores, and I get a lot of help on kids clothes from my mother, who likes to buy clothes for the grand kids. She's why they have Boden and Ralph Lauren for example. I wouldn't be able to buy all their clothes, no matter how good the sale!

I have a friend who will only buy clothes from tag sales and second hand shops. She is my best friend, and I do not look down on her at all. I do think her daughter sometimes looks odd, but that's because she doesn't really care and lets her daughter pick out her clothes (when shopping and wearing). I really enjoy fashion, and I like to look put together. I like my kids to look put together, too. My friend has other interests, and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fedoragirl View Post
    Do you buy only new clothing or do consignment pieces find their way into your DC's wardrobes?
    Do you internally look down upon other people's kids if they wear "cheap" clothing?
    Do you ooh-and--aah over vintage items (read DH's baby clothes that MIL insists you have) or you put them in the discard pile?

I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general? I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    I'm very picky about brands bc DD1 is tall and very slim so only certain brands work. I also tend to buy high quality clothes for her so they last for DD2.

I only buy new clothing but I get hand me downs from my neice. DH has a major issue with anything used. It would gross him out to no end if I bought so etching used, completely irrational, I know.

I couldn't care less what other kids are wearing unless its cute and I want it for my kids. I know DH and I have more disposable income than most and we are fortunate. I do get snarky if I notice children I appropriately dressed (IMO). One girl in DD1's school dresses like a junior hoochie and DH and I talk about it.

Not a fan of vintage clothes. See comment on consignment.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Nowadays I buy most of DS' clothing from Hanna or Boden. That probably makes me look like a brand snob, but honestly, those are the brands that fit him! He's unusually big for his age, many of the brands I used to turn to no longer fit him, and I prefer to shop online which limits me to stores that can process a Canadian cc.
    (I prefer LE for outerwear because of their amazing CS and good deals, and Hatley for PJ's because they're local, no flame retardants, and cute.)
    Love consignment, but usually only shop there when in the US. I have yet to find a good consignment store locally. Crazy, I know.
    No. In fact, I really don't comparison shop much so it would probably go right past me if I did see a child wearing "cheap" clothing.
    Ugh! I interpret vintage as being gorgeous, timeless, and maybe lovingly made by MIL or a ggma. Unfortunately SIL interprets vintage as any old thing that DNephew once wore that is horribly pilled, stained, totally shrunken, and not very nice to begin with! So, because of that, no, we don't do vintage
    I know there are a lot of variables with each question but what do you do in general?
    I'm a bargain hunter. I will buy the best quality I can, in the brands that fit my DS, and that happen to be to my (and his) taste. I used to resell his clothing when he was younger but he wears through things now so I don't really do that anymore.
    I have a middle-class friend who only shops certain brands for her kids. That's fine if you can but she openly makes disparaging remarks about parents who don't clothe their kids in said brands.
    I'm thinking about all my mommy friends now and I have to say, I don't think a one of them is like this. That would really bother me. Now if she was telling you about all the fab brands she got for a smoking deal...that would be another story
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

I do the majority of clothes shopping at Hanna Andersson and Mini Boden, with maybe some Gymboree thrown in. I am very picky about how my boys are dressed (NO camo, no skulls/crossbones, no sports graphics, no punk/rocker, no smart-@ss sayings like, "I'm too cool for homework"), and I find those 2 brands have clothes that most often fit my taste. I only buy on sale, so I manage to pay a little more than Target's regular prices. I feel the extra money I spend is worth it in terms of quality and being happy with the way my boys look.

There are no decent consignment stores in my area. In addition, I only buy for DS1 now since DS2 pretty much wears all his hand-me-downs, and there is not a big used clothing market in his size.

Nope, I don't care. Everyone has something they'll spend a little extra money on. For me, I choose my boys' clothes. For them, it might be something else. That's fine.

Not applicable. Neither one of our parents ever saved clothing from our childhood.

I try to snag the best deals at slightly higher end stores through sales, free shipping codes, etc. I may end up paying more than if I had shopped the bargain bin at Target, but I enjoy dressing my boys in a way that pleases ME. Now that DS1 is getting to an age where he is harder on clothes, I am always searching for better quality so that I can pass everything down to DS2.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I do typically only buy certain brands that I like the style and quality but I will pick up anything if I like it.

I don't buy used. I just don't, no reason other than I have my own style and I like to shop online.

I don't care in the slightest how other people dress their kids. I notice a good sense of style that gives me ideas . It is more likely that I am being judged for buying pricier brands and too much clothing but it's fun for me and I can afford it. My 8 year old will barely let me choose anymore so it's a limited hobby.

We don't have vintage stuff but I did love using the family baptismal gown.

Anyway I shop a lot online. If I know a place usually has a code or frequent sales like Boden or Gymboree I will never pay full price. If I have to have something from a place less sale oriented I usually go for it.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 01-30-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

I usually shop for durability since my kids are tough on their clothes, Hanna, Boden, some J&J/gymboree, Nordstrom/Rack, Lands End for pants, but pick up odds and ends from Target.

I will occasionally check out consignment for things like blazers or snow pants that barely get used before they are outgrown but have had less luck finding stuff once my kids got passed the toddler stage.

Nope, don't really notice.

I would if I had some cute pieces like Annie's kids!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD is tall and slim with chunky limbs. We can only buy certain brands because others are cut too slim for them to be practical or comfortable.

We shop at Target for basics (Cherokee jeans, swimsuits for daycare, socks, undershirts, etc.) & emergencies (extra tee shirts for daycare, etc.)

Pants come from OshKosh outlet and/or Hanna, though I can't always afford Hanna.

Dresses come from Hanna, Mini Boden (when I can afford it), Gymboree & Gymboree Outlet.

Tights come from Hanna.

Tees/tops come from all over - Target, Children's Place, OshKosh Outlet, Baby Gap, etc., but usually not Hanna. I'm not crazy about their shirts' fit.

Shoes are from Stride Rite Outlet.

I don't have time to consignment shop, so it's all new clothing, but I typically shop outlets and have learned the sale patterns for our preferred brands.

However, if we had someone from whom to accept hand-me-downs, I'd welcome them with open arms!!! (Alas, all my family has boys.)

Sometimes, but that's usually because I'm looking at items based on their re-use or hand-me-down value, rather than the "how much does it cost me up-front" value (or lack thereof.)

There are some brands, like Circo at Target, BRU's house brand and Old Glory at WalMart, that I won't touch with a ten foot pole because of the terrible experiences I've had with them in the past - shrinking, pilling, ripping, etc. - and I feel badly that those are all some folks can afford to buy for their kids.

Vintage, yes.
    Just old, no.

I actually have one dress my mother sewed for me that will fit DD either this year or next hanging in DD's closet. I have to wash it & replace the buttons, but it's otherwise in great shape. (It's a puffed-sleeve, Peter Pan collared, ties-in-back-sashed number in yellow calico with a flounced hem ... Mom sewed it from a Cinderella brand pattern and there's a tag inside that says "handmade with love for my little princess.")
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mik8 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I buy clothes that give the biggest bang for the buck. In other words, I buy clothes brand that will hold up the most (sale/clearance). I am not a brand snob. I can usually find those in our consignment stores here. Having said that, Gap, Crewcuts, Garnet Hill, and lately Target's Circo seem to dominate her closet the most. My 9 y/o DD graduated from HA and Gymboree 2 years ago.

No that's silly, esp when I want to teach my kids that material things are just that and life does not revolve around the "latest spring line from........"

That said I am a "quality snob". I buy quality things that last and I get them on sale.

I would rather the kids had two really nice "xx's" vs a bunch of things that's fall apart!

To achieve this tho I have to buy certain brands....it's a cycle
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast