09Mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Magformers or magnatiles

Which do you like better and why...
    DD 1/09

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not sure why but the kids like the magnatiles much better.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've never seen Magformers IRL, but my kids (3 1/2 and 9 yrs) got their first set of Magnatiles for Christmas and have played with them every day since! For years I tried to convince DS1 to let me buy him some and he refused saying they looked lame, but within a week of DS2 getting them for Christmas he said we already need another 100 piece set since there's not enough pieces and they're constantly fighting over them. So yeah, the Magnatiles have been a huge hit.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Never had Magnatiles before an aunt got us Magformers. Since they get lots of use daily, and I'm comfortable with even my baby using them, I have not gotten Magnatiles. We LOVE them!
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I may be in the minority, but I wish I had gone with Magformers instead of Magnatiles. DS got a set of Magnatiles for Christmas, and they rarely see any play. This is a kid that builds with Duplos and wood blocks for hours at a time. He played with the Magnatiles for a short time, but quickly lost interest. Magformers are supposed to hold shapes better, and you can play with the creations (ex. "fly" an airplane).

ETA: Somehow, DS managed to pinch his fingers in the Magnatiles twice. That might be the reason he doesn't play with them.

We have both. We got the magformers almost 2 years ago and got 2 sets of magnatiles for Xmas. The kids and I both prefer the magformers. The magformer magnets are stronger and the pieces are lighter and easier for small hands to hold. The magnatiles are nice but they only really work on the ground due to the weight and magnet strength. Which is great for buildings and castles and such. However my kids also enjoy making rocketships and other things that take off and move. Yesterday DS made himself a helmet of magformers and wore it around for hours. The magnatiles got a lot of use soon after Xmas but the newness has worn off and they have gone untouched for the past couple of weeks. The magformers on the other hand have gotten almost daily use since we got them. We have hundreds of magformers now. They get a new set for their birthdays and Xmas so they have really added up over time. I am thinking about donating the magnatiles to the kid's kindergarten.
    Last edited by roseyloxs; 02-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)