Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default If you don't use fabric softener sheets...

how do you stop static cling? My husband has developed excema, so all his clothes, towels, sheets have to be washed with All Free & Clear and dried without dryer sheets. (He also has to take bleach baths, which gives me the willies, but that's a different story.) I often use vinegar in the wash for antibacterial properties and for softness, but I still use dryer sheets to cut down on static. Without the dryer sheets, the static is TERRIBLE!!!!! Every morning I get out of bed, and my hair is standing in the air. DH nearly went to work yesterday with a sock stuck to the outside of his trousers! He says he was getting shocks all day. What can I do, oh wise, green BBBers?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can he use the free&clear dyer sheets?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about using wool dryer balls or not drying clothes completely in the dryer? Reduce the drying time so the clothes aren't quite damp but wouldn't necessarily be considered completely dry.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use wool dryer balls from Etsy and just the regular dryer setting. I have sensitive skin and we cloth diaper so I haven't used dryer sheets in years and really haven't missed them.

If you can't find the dryer balls on etsy, just do a search online. Here is one I found on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Dryer-Max-Anti-Static-Balls/dp/B000I7RQUM

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Can he use the free&clear dyer sheets?
    Both kids and I have eczema too - we use all free and clear with a fragrance free dryer sheet (only in the winter when the static is bad). Several brands make them including the Target up and up brand and Bounce. Never had any skin issues with the fragrance free ones.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Make sure you are using humidifiers in the home.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've never tried it, but you can use safety pins in your dryer to reduce static cling: http://www.simpleorganizedliving.com...-static-cling/
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

Oooh, I'm going to try the vinegar and safety pin thing! Now I just pour vinegar in the main tub. I'll try adding it as if it were fabric softener. If that fails, Etsy, here I come!

And we don't currently have the humidifiers running, even though I have a cold and could use one! They both need to be cleaned, and guess who hasn't cleaned them yet... I guess I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks guys! If anyone else has ideas, please post them. It's always good to have multiple things to try!

I've used rubber dryer balls (these ones from Target) for years and don't notice any static cling. We also had to stop using dryer sheets because of DH's and DS' sensitive skin.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast