Default Pinched nerve or pulled muscle and what to do?

Last weekend the left side of my neck, left shoulder, and left shoulder blade started hurting. I assumed that maybe I strained or pulled a muscle goofing around with the kids in the snow. Usually when this happens it disappears in a few days and Ibuprofen will dull or completely take the pain away.

However, this time, ibuprofen hasn't helped at all. Also, it has moved mostly to the left back side of my neck.

Does this sound like a possible pinched nerve? Is there anything I can do to alleviate it?

I've tried heat and it sorta helps....but I also WOH FT so there's not much I can do during the day.

TIA!
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

They are 2 very different things. Last year I had a pinched neve in my neck, and the doctor gave me a steriod pack. It was so incredibly painful - radiated down my arm - and advil didn't touch it. Advil didn't even give me a slight reprieve. The dr said that's the test - if it isn't any better with 4 advil, then it is likely a pinched nerve.

The steroids helped/kicked in on the second day.

You don't want to take steroids too often - there are some side effects to taking them repeatedly - but it is really the only thing that helps a pinched nerve. Pulled muscles should get better with advil/aleve I have found.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you had some relief from heat I recommend the Thermacare heat wraps. I often use those when I have stiff /sore neck and shoulders and they help a lot. The stick to your skin and will heat for 8 hours. I hope you get some relief!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    If you had some relief from heat I recommend the Thermacare heat wraps. I often use those when I have stiff /sore neck and shoulders and they help a lot. The stick to your skin and will heat for 8 hours. I hope you get some relief!
    Thanks for the rec...I have to check these out. They would work at work, too...and not smell like icy hot or similar products
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    Thanks for the rec...I have to check these out. They would work at work, too...and not smell like icy hot or similar products
    No smell at all and sit against skin under clothes. I've worn them to work and if a little of it sticks above my clothes I can wear a scarf to cover it. They work like those hand and feet warmers where exposure to air makes them heat up. HTH!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

I'd see a chiropractor.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I get pinched nerves fairly frequently and they usually go away quickly. I had a persistent one once and went to the Ortho who recommended PT and luckily that helped but it took a good number of sessions. So, I would say if it doesn't clear up soon see a Dr.
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
    I'd see a chiropractor.
    YUP what she said. I would see my chiropractor!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH had almost exactly what you described and it was a pinched nerve. He finally went to the doctor and he originally prescribed meds, they helped but it came back. He went to PT and it helped tons! He had to go back for a few sessions once but hasn't had trouble since.