Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

J.Crew - love their super 120s. Usually can find a decent sale with % off making them a good deal.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you are in a super conservative field, this might not work, but I have found some suits at the Limited. They often have sales, which are nice on my state salary.

Their stuff tends to be more trendy and less classic, and it is definitely not the best made suit you will find, but you find basics inexpensively. I also shop their sale rack for jackets (patterned) that I can mix with my plain pants.

I have also gotten inexpensive suits at the Steinmart petites section. Again, not the greatest, but can be inexpensive.

(you can buy the pieces separately at both places).

Good luck!

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Lord and Taylor

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My last suit I bought in 2010 was from The Limited. I ended returning it because I decided I just wasn't going to use it much, but it was really nice and well made for the price.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Banana to my rescue last spring

I had to update my suits in April/May of 2012 after losing weight. I ended up with two pant suits from Banana Republic. This was after I gave myself license to buy at full price. I didn't find anything for a while then ended up finding on sale (after all) at Banana, and they were wool which is what I favor. And it worked out for me because I was another size smaller than when I started looking in March/April!!

I can still wear my older skirt suits, but not the pants suits due to falling off pants, which I may try to take in at some point.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

sweetsue98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I buy all my suits from the limited. They have some trendy suits but some classic ones as well.

Dcclerk is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My favorites are my J. Crew ones with the 120s wool. Classic and very put together. Still very stylish. I always get compliments on them. I have quite a few from Banana Republic, and those are fine, a couple are better than the others. Some of the ones have gotten a little shiny over time, and I attribute that to not being 100% wool. I don't like that, so now I only buy 100% wool. For whatever reason, the J. Crew shorter jackets look better on me, while the Banana longer jackets look better on me.

I have had a couple Ann Taylor and LOFT suits, and they were both fine quality, but I never thought they seemed very chic. I have a Gap one that I never wear, it just doesn't hang right, same with an Anne Klein one. I also have some higher end ones from Barney's Coop, and I never really like them on. One has a more masculine cut, which I know is fashion-forward and I still think is unattractive on me. The other is really voluminous in the legs, and since I have some bigger-than-average legs, that is saying something.

As a quick aside, my general belief is that you should search until you find the perfect classic black or navy suit that fits just right (or could easily be made to fit well by a seamstress), and then buy one really good one, even if it is full price. You can change the look of it around a lot, especially if you get both a skirt and pants. I have wasted a lot of money on suits that were a great bargain, but then just hung in my closet because I won't wear them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2