Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Ablation, Novasure ... My experience

I went for a consult with my OB to discuss the possibility of getting an Ablation a few weeks ago. Ever since I turned 35ish (I'm 38 now), my periods have gotten much heavier. I generally have a 2 day timeframe (usually day 2 and 3) that I am changing an overnight maxi pad every 45 min. to an hour. It makes it very difficult to leave the house, and with 4 kids, I can't be tethered.

My OB recommended the Mirena IUD (she has one herself and loves it) because it is both a good method of BC and it often leads to lighter or no periods. My DH was really nervous about the hormonal component of the IUD, so we decided to go for the Ablation instead. With an Ablation, you still need to use BC... you can get pregnant!

My OB performs Ablations in the surgery center in the lower level of her office. I was told not to eat or have any liquids after midnight the night before. I arrived at the center at 10am to prep for an 11am surgery. The nurse took me back and started an IV for fluids, and once they were ready to get started, they gave me some Toradol for potential pain, and Zofran for potential nausea. The OB was running late, so I was taking back around 11:40. They put me under "twilight" and the next thing I knew, it was 12:30 and I was waking up!

My OB said the procedure went well and showed me some lovely pictures of my uterus. She said that the Mirena would never have worked for me, because my cervix was dialated (at baseline) and an IUD would have most likely fallen right out!

When I woke up I felt very spacey and kind of "out to lunch". They gave me a few minutes to adjust, and then I went to the bathroom. After that, the nurse walked me to the car and DH drove me home. I was in my bed by 1pm. I did feel crampy and uncomfortable. I would best describe it as someone had just punched me in the stomach, or it was similar to getting my membranes stripped REALLY hard. I cycled tylenol and motrin for the rest of the day.

I rested in my bed for about an hour. By 3:30, I picked up my kids from the bus, and by 5pm I was driving my 2 older girls to dance (although driving is highly discouraged the same day as the procedure). By 8pm, my sitter left and I put all 4 kids to bed by myself.

I woke up the next day and pretty much felt back to normal. I had a regular day, and only took motrin once around 1pm when I felt a little achey.

I have been wearing a pad since the surgery since I have been spotting, but nothing major. I've been changing the pad maybe 2x per day.

If I remember, I'll try to update this thread in a few months!

Any questions?
    Our string quartet is complete

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You can definitely get pregnant after an ablation! A lady on my local mom's board just delivered her post ablation baby earlier this week!
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience! I really appreciate it and hope you have a great outcome! Please keep us updated.
    K

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you for sharing your experience. Definitely update about how things go in the next few months. I have the same exact issue with my heavy periods and it is to a point where I'm just sick and tired of it interfering with my life. My dh has been suggesting to get ablation, but I don't know many who have had it, so would love to hear about whether it's worth it or not.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Just a quick one week update. I've been having a lot more spotting... kind of watery, light pink discharge. Changing more pads for sure. I'm hoping it will taper off this week.

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Had an ablation years ago, maybe 4 or 5. Best thing I ever did for myself. Still don't have periods. Zero days of the month curled into a fetal position. Zero days home bound due to crazy, heavy flow. Definitely recommended!
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

Default 2 month update

Just updating a bit... so I had watery discharge for 6-7 weeks, and at the 7 week mark I had a period. It was very normal, no heavy bleeding. Since the period, I've had spotting every day, so I continue to wear light flow pads.

Hopeful that the spotting stops at some point!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you for the post and update.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just coming here to check-in with you. Thanks for the update! Going in later in the month to discuss it all with my OB who is so laid back it drives me a little crazy.
    K

Updating Again!!

Well, I had my period 4x, and when I came time for the 5th period... it never came! Woo!! I'm cautiously excited that I'm finished.

So, it was basically about 4 months of spotting including the 4 periods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast