acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Help for migraines/pms symptoms

Since the birth of my 2nd (2.5 years ago), I have had hormonal related migraines with my period and ovulation almost every month as well as more PMS symptoms that I used to have (bloating, overall grouchiness, sore chest, etc.). I never had any of these lovely thing before kids.

I went on the pill (lo loestrin fe) in the fall to try to help these symptoms based on the recommendation of my ObGyn and it did help. However, I have always had issues with weight gain on the pill (usually weigh 10-15 more lbs on the pill than off). We were hoping I wouldn't have these issues with this low dose pill, but I have already gained 4-5 lbs in just a few months. I am trying this month off the pill, but have already had the migraine issue return.

Anyone have any non-pill suggestions for dealing with migraines and other pms symptoms? I hate to stay on it and gain weight but I don't want to feel this way every month either. Thanks!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have you tried Magnesium supplements? I take 2 250mg chelated mag daily to help with hormonal headaches. The chelated mag is easier on the digestive system. Be sure not to take it with calcium as that interferes with absorption of mag, so I'm told by my doc. Some find they can take mag only at certain times of the month and have it work. I find it's just easier to remember to take it daily.

And not the answer most are looking for, but I've had the least headaches and PMS of my life since going GF. I gave up on BCP because of weight gain and other side effects. Since going GF I no longer get breast tenderness, cramps, lower back ache, bloating, mood swings (ok, I can still get crabby but not the raging lunatic one minute, tears the next stuff). I do still get a minor headache here and there, usually timed for ovulation or my period, but I can cure it with one excederin migraine and it'll be gone for good instead of lasting 2-3 days.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second the magnesium supplements -- they've greatly reduced the number of hormonal migraines I get.

Did your doctors recommend the mag and give you daily amounts or was it something you researched on your own? And can I not take calcium at all n it or just not at the same time of day?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My doc recommended starting at 200mg per day and increasing if needed. I found I needed 500mg per day to be effective. I believe the recommendation is just not to take them at the same time. They sell a cal-mag supplement which is what I first bought and told the doc it didn't seem to be working. That's when she said, well that's because you shouldn't take them at the same time. Why sell a cal-mag then? Not sure.

Since mag can cause diarrhea you may want to start at a lesser dose and work up and also take on a full stomach. Again, finding a chelated mag will also make it easier to digest. I am able to take the full 500mg at the same time in the a.m. after breakfast and have no digestive issues. Some people split the doses into a.m. and p.m.

This is the one I take: http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=352581

Here's a little info from U. Maryland:
    Magnesium (200 - 600 mg per day) -- People with migraines often have lower levels of magnesium than people who do not have migraines, and several studies suggest that magnesium may reduce the frequency of migraine attacks in people with low levels of magnesium. In one study, people who took magnesium reduce the frequency of attacks by 41.6%, compared to 15.8% in those who took placebo. Some studies also suggest that magnesium may be helpful for women whose migraines are triggered by their periods. Side effects from magnesium can include lower blood pressure and diarrhea. Magnesium can interact with medications including heart medications, diuretics or water pills, some antibiotics, and muscle relaxers.
    Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/m...#ixzz2Ke5d4fJu
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Thanks wendibird! I shop at wegmans so I will look for that one.

Did the mag help your mood at all or just the headaches?

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Taking the magnesium I think does help with PMS symptoms. It cuts my chocolate cravings -- did you know that is why a lot of women crave chocolate on their periods? Chocolate has magnesium.