View Poll Results: Does the duvet cover opening go at the top or bottom of the bed?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top of the bed by your head

10 8.47%
  • Bottom of the bed

99 83.90%
  • It depends on the duvet

8 6.78%
  • I love roasted veggies!

1 0.85%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Omg, I guess I'm the only loser who's always put the opening up towards my head!!!!! I think because I don't like seeing the buttons/opening at the bottom of the bed-- it just looks so noticeable to me (we don't have a foot board). I guess the buttons/opening have never bothered me or my face!

I did get cheap Ikea duvets for DS2's bunk beds though and they just have an opening on the duvet with no flap or buttons so I put those with the opening towards the end of the bed since the opening would be tucked in and covered by the foot boards. Plus, those duvets have a decorative trim up on the top, opposite the opening so I wasn't as confused!

Thanks everyone for solving a lifelong mystery of mine!!!!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Omg, I guess I'm the only loser who's always put the opening up towards my head!!!!! I think because I don't like seeing the buttons/opening at the bottom of the bed-- it just looks so noticeable to me (we don't have a foot board). I guess the buttons/opening have never bothered me or my face!

I did get cheap Ikea duvets for DS2's bunk beds though and they just have an opening on the duvet with no flap or buttons so I put those with the opening towards the end of the bed since the opening would be tucked in and covered by the foot boards. Plus, those duvets have a decorative trim up on the top, opposite the opening so I wasn't as confused!

Thanks everyone for solving a lifelong mystery of mine!!!!
    I only switched in the last year. Like you, I don't like looking at the buttons on the bottom of the bed. We don't have a footboard.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Opening at the foot of the bed.

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I tried putting the opening at the foot, but it never worked well. Our duvet cover is about 8" longer than our duvet, which is good because our footboard fits really, really tightly to the mattress. So the only way to squeeze anything between is to have only the duvet cover need to go through. The duvet itself stops at the top of the footboard. (Does that make sense? It's difficult to put into writing!)

So ours opens to the head of the bed. The buttons are inside a placket, so we don't notice them. We always fold the sheet over, anyway. Our duvet cover is white, so we try not to touch it.

ETA: I voted "depends" but maybe should have voted "top"?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

On the bottom at our house as well!
    Last edited by vludmilla; 02-12-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    DD '06
    DD '14

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I think because I don't like seeing the buttons/opening at the bottom of the bed-- it just looks so noticeable to me (we don't have a foot board).
    This is my reasoning as well.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have the opening at the bottom, but I have always wondered this myself!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't feel bad OP. I have the buttons at the top, too and they've never bothered me a bit! I figure it is my bed I'll do whatever I want, lol.

Honestly, with the craziness of my life lately, sometimes the buttons are on the bottom, sometimes they're on the sides--the pattern is kind of tricky. I'm just lucky to get the duvet cover back up on the bed. But when I'm paying attention, I like them up top.

Ok, I've got a legitimate reason to keep them at the bottom. One time when the bed was made with the opening at the top, my small dog tried to bury under the covers but managed to get inside the duvet cover by accident.

When she tried to get out she got lost in there and fell over the edge of the bed. She ended up being suspended inside the duvet, dangling on the side of the bed, hammock style, a foot above the floor. She had no way to get back onto the bed and no way to get down to the floor. I could not figure out where she was for awhile and I started to kind of panic about why she wasn't coming when I called her.

She was fine when I got her out of there but definitely more than a little freaked out. So buttons at the bottom always in this house!!

Bottom only! I grew up in Europe, they only use duvet covers and down duvets there and it never crossed my mind to put them on top
    My sweet and curly haired DD 4
    ...and expecting someone new mid April 2014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast