Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chiisai View Post
    ok... so, of course I have to google... I found that Costco has a Blendtec total blender with fourside and wildside containers for $399.

Reviews are basically that vitamix owners like that over blendtec, and blendtec owners like that over vitamis, with a both having a few "like the other better" reviews.

I like that it seems easier to get everything out of the blendtec. I'm not sure if we'd use the dry canister on the vitamix. I've read smoothies are super smooth on the vitamix, maybe more so than the blendtec.

Re: the 2 speeds on this vitamix, what are the limitations of it vs. variable? Or, what does variable make easier, for example?
    I read a good bit about both brands and decided to get whichever one I found a deal on. I was leaning slightly toward Vitamix only because I worked at a Tropical Smoothie and was familiar with them. I think you would be happy either way!

wifecat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chiisai View Post
    Thanks for this! From the demo, did you see that there was anything the vitamix was doing that might be better than the blendtec? I think I'm leaning toward the blendtec, with the deals I can find right now.
    When I was debating between the two, I was concerned that the Blendtec didn't have the tamper and I thought you just might need that to really get stuff blended well. Now that I have the Blendtec I see it's not necessary. If I'm doing really hard stuff in a smoothie (like whole carrots, frozen whole strawberries, ice) I used the "juice" function instead of the "smoothie" function. The cycle lasts a little longer and if everything isn't as smooth as I want, I can just hit pulse for a few seconds longer. (I saw the "juice" tip on the Blendtec fb page).

The other thing I was worried about was soup. From what I read, those that compared both said the vitamix could make a smoother soup. I'm texture sensitive, so I leaned toward getting the vitamix. Now I can't actually compare the soup from the two blenders, but I made sweet potato bisque this week in the Blendtec and it was super smooth and creamy. You can leave chunks if you like by using the pulse function, but I like it smooth, and that's exactly what I got by choosing the sauce function.

I also made a roasted tomato marinara sauce that was amazing and easy. Awesome texture.

ETA: My kids are eating spinach/carrots/other veggies in mass quantities now because of the Blendtec. I think it and the Vitamix are very comparable and I'd choose by price/color!
    Last edited by wifecat; 02-17-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Mama to miracles, dd (3/09), ds (12/10), dd (8/14)

chiisai is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Great, thanks to both of you!
    Deal-hunting mom to a 2006 and a 2010

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What do these cost at Costco and do they carry the red? TIA

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think Costco's is $385. I've seen white and black there, not sure if some stores carry colors. The Costco model does not include the dry container (though I don't have it and don't miss it.) And only comes with one cookbook.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    What do these cost at Costco and do they carry the red? TIA
    these were/are prices at my Costco (in-store):

5200 model (64 oz wet container) - $379
    6300 model (64 oz wet container) - $499

Mine carried red, black and platinum or white i think..I got the 6300 in red. Very happy with it. I've only had it for 2 weeks and so far, so good. We are eating SO much better now that we have it!

The 5200 has variable speed dial (can change speed from level 1 to level 10)...versus the just 2 speeds (low and high) that the Creations one (version being sold by QVC in this deal). Also, the one at Costco is being sold with 64 oz (tall container)..the Creations/QVC one is shorter 48 oz container.

The 6300 is pretty much the same as 5200 (variable speed dial, pulse function) but also has 3 programmed settings: Smoothie, Frozen Desserts, and Soups. The great thing about these is that you just "set it and forget it" and it takes the guesswork out of figuring out how long you need to run it for, using a timer, etc. For me that was worth the extra $120 Also, the 6300 came with a really nice 300page cookbook tailored to the 6300 (e.g. add xxx ingredients, press frozen desserts program, let it run, done). Pretty useful/tasty recipes. Not sure if the 5200 came with a cookbook too.

The one being sold on Costco.com is the 5200 "kit" for $499, so basic model and more expensive, but it comes with a dry container as well.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 02-17-2013 at 10:52 PM.

kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Gah! So do you guys think it's a good idea to get the qvc one? I won't be able to go to a costco until summer and I don't know if the vitamix is a standard thing there or not. Also, I just hate to spend 400 if 2 speeds and the smaller container aren't going to be sufficient.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kellij View Post
    Gah! So do you guys think it's a good idea to get the qvc one? I won't be able to go to a costco until summer and I don't know if the vitamix is a standard thing there or not. Also, I just hate to spend 400 if 2 speeds and the smaller container aren't going to be sufficient.
    It's definitely not a standard thing at Costco...when i first went to my regular Costco they didn't have it at the store (they had the BlendTec though)...they only have the Vitamix during their roadshows/demos. You can check out the roadshow schedule on Vitamix website.

Like wellyes said earlier, i think the 2 speeds and smaller container are enough, and if you have been waiting for a Vitamix deal i'd totally jump on this one (there's less than an hour left i think). While this is the basic model with only 2 speeds...there isn't anything the other ones are capable of doing that this one cannot...the main difference are the more convenient features like automatic programs. Also, the plus side of the shorter container is that it can fit under cabinets (the 64oz one can't, that's a tad annoying).

i would have gone for this deal if i didn't already have one (i would have snagged a turquoise or cobalt blue!). right now it looks like they only have black, espresso and cinnamon available.

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about a Vitamix and this seemed like a great deal. Just ordered it in Cinnamon.
    Cleo
    Proud mom of DD, age 11

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Is it wrong that I already have a Vitamix and I watch the programs on QVC? Watching right now...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast