Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As the mother of a child with life threatening nut allergies, I completely understand. Krispy Kreme is the *only* nut-free bakery I've ever found in AZ. We had one a mile or so away for a few years and then they all closed! One opened about 1 1/2 years ago 55 miles from our house. I drove 110 miles round trip to get my kid donuts for his birthday! They've been slowly opening up again - there are now 2 within about 30 miles of our house. Hopefully some will open up again near you. If not, let me know if I can mail you some!

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Are there any good local bakeries in your area? I get that you love their donuts, but Krispy Kremes are average compared to a few of our local bakeries that make their own donuts. There is one place local that only makes 4 lemon donuts a day, just 4 and the only way that dh can get any lemon donuts is if he is there by 6:30am, lol. Their donuts (and cakes) are popular in our town, we wouldn't go to a KK, even if there was one in our town. Anyway, hoping that you can find some awesome donut place in your area, I'd ask local friends for suggestions. Some grocery stores carry KK, but I'm not sure that it would be the same thing. Like our local meijers carry KK, it's on a rolling shelf over by the dairy section.
    I had some KKs within driving distance (30 minutes or so) in North Carolina, but the one at our next town closed. I don't think our current town has one but I agree that if your bakery makes good donuts that can be a good (dangerous) replacement. To me, grocery store KKs aren't the same because a lot of the experience of getting a Krispy Kreme is buying them warm off the line.

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My problem with Krispy Kreme is that I read the flashing "Hot Donuts Now" sign to be punctuated "Hot Donuts! Now!", which is a command, not an option.

Their donuts are just mediocre when cooled, but when hot are some of the finest junk food known to woman, especially at 4 a.m. after pulling an all-nighter in college to get a paper done . . .
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

That is a travesty!! We don't live anywhere near a Krispy Kreme but we always go when visiting the ILs. Anytime we're traveling, we google to see if there's one near us. When DH used to go to Atlanta, he'd bring a duffle bag to bring home several dozen on the plane! We have Dunkin Donuts here and the glazed doughnuts are decent but do.not.compare. to a hot Krispy Kreme!
    ~Leslie

Ryan 8/00

Matthew 2/03

"We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation.It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path."~ Paulo Coelho

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bummer!

Find a small local doughnut shop! That's what we do for the kid's classroom bdays (I special order the night before).. sooo good!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I am SO sorry!

We lived in Charlotte when I was little and I remember as far back as 2, sitting at the counter and waiting for them to come of the line. I even had coffee!

We did not have them in Chicago - so after I moved to LA, I was SHOCKED to see them expand to so cal (& over expand to their misfortune). Anyway I would drive 30
    miles to get one!!! Or a dozen...

I haven't been down to see if ours has closed but when we r in NC visiting - I can eat a half dozen hot ones.

I do think they changed the glaze, too much of it now and too thick.

Still love em tho!! DH grew up with Dunkin and he doesn't like KK. His Yankee loss!!!

ETA-I'm in luuuck...there's two under 15 miles from me. I kinda like to save them for our South visits, makes it more special.
    Last edited by Nooknookmom; 02-25-2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Additon
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2