Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Summer camps...

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    I just wish summer camp wasn't so darn expensive. Some of the specialized camps are over $500 for a week ... and that's just a day camp.... not like they are sleeping over and they have to provide 3 meals a day ... I even have to pack a lunch!
    We do cheaper camps. $500 is too much for a week. Which specialized camps are those, so I can avoid them!

Swim camp at aquatic center is $50 a day if you book early, some of the sport camps like AYSO or basketball are about $200 a week. There's a general camp near us that DS really likes, the more you got the cheaper it gets. I've hoping for the last 2 weeks M-F for $575, as I'm in classes those 2 weeks, if you go the whole summer it's much cheaper per week. The Y camp is cheaper too.

Doesn't camp get more expensive the older the kids get? Something for me to keep in mind as DS gets older.
    Last edited by niccig; 02-24-2013 at 09:05 PM.

March 1st is the big day around here. I was up at 6:00 a.m. to register DS1 in a two week camp last year only to find it was full. Registration started that day and this section required permission from a gifted teacher.

I finally figured out registration opens at midnight. Easier for me to stay up late than get up early, so we'll give it another try this year.

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    March 1st is the big day around here. I was up at 6:00 a.m. to register DS1 in a two week camp last year only to find it was full. Registration started that day and this section required permission from a gifted teacher.

I finally figured out registration opens at midnight. Easier for me to stay up late than get up early, so we'll give it another try this year.
    OK..that is crazy. So everyone is standing by waiting for 12.01 am to register?
    Last edited by niccig; 02-24-2013 at 11:08 PM.

My DS is too young for camps but have heard from friends just how impossible registrations for camps get! There is one in upstate NY that ill want DS to go when he's older; eligible age is 9. I have heard that registration opens on jan 2nd at midnight, and often is sold out by afternoon next day?!? That's for camp to begin July and August sessions. A good 8/9 months away. Craziness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We just signed up DS1 for 6 weeks of camp at the end of January! If you signed up by February 1st then it was just $45 a day vs $55 a day. Last year we missed the discount and I was kicking myself! This will be DS1's third summer with the same camp.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    OK..that is crazy. So everyone is standing by waiting for 12.01 am to register?
    Yep, I was trying for a 1/2 day program at the community college. 3/1 is the day for those program and our parks & rec. They are two popular programs because they are cheaper, quality and can provide full day coverage is you need that kind of care. So if you want to cover your whole summer you get in fast. I've had to learn since I'm just looking for a week or two as enrichment.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Just think of it as $100 per day for full-time kid watching and entertainment / enrichment. That makes it slightly easier to bear....
    yeah that's what I was trying to do when DS2 desperately wanted to go to Horse Camp with our next door neighbors daughter. he ended up going 4 days so it was a little less. He had a good time but told me he doesn't want to do Horse camp again this year (phew, dodged that bullet). I was looking into a ceramics camp at a small place a few blocks away from us and it is $450 a week .... if I sent both kids it's $900.... we could go away for a fun weekend as a family for $900! I am so thankful we don't HAVE to send the kids to camp.... They get to have "camp Mom" instead! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    yeah that's what I was trying to do when DS2 desperately wanted to go to Horse Camp with our next door neighbors daughter. he ended up going 4 days so it was a little less. He had a good time but told me he doesn't want to do Horse camp again this year (phew, dodged that bullet). I was looking into a ceramics camp at a small place a few blocks away from us and it is $450 a week .... if I sent both kids it's $900.... we could go away for a fun weekend as a family for $900! I am so thankful we don't HAVE to send the kids to camp.... They get to have "camp Mom" instead! LOL
    Horse camp I could understand is expensive, but ceramics camp... Wow...I know places over my side of town that aren't that expensive...but you'll have to drive, so maybe negates the cost.
    Last edited by niccig; 02-25-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I have no idea about our summer plans but we have to decide soon. ugh
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes, our summer is completely planned by the end of January.

Between finding a beach house rental (annual trip with ILs and extended family), fitting in a 3 week sleep away that older DD adores, a week long bike trip for DH, and an annual conference for me, piecing together summer is a logic puzzle that requires a spreadsheet and several conference calls.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2