Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mattiew is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What toys do you plan on saving?

My girls are 7 and 10, starting to outgrow some of our favorite toys and I know it will be all too soon before most of the toys will be packed away (I'm going to stretch it out as long as possible though). What toys do you think you will save? Either to pull out for grandchildren or for fun memories when your children are grown.

I know some of the American Girl items will be kept, not sure what or how much as our collection is large. I plan on keeping some books. Other than that I'm not sure!

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ugh. I struggle with this one. My Mom saved nearly everything, it seems. She now has grandchildren for whom she delights in bringing out all kinds of our old toys. Growing up, the house we lived in had a basement, and I think pretty much everything we outgrew went down there. We call the playroom at Grandma's house the "Toy Museum." Sooo, I don't want to go that far, and realistically we couldn't because we don't have nearly enough storage space, but I'd like to keep a few things... maybe something from each age or stage? Or the things they played with and loved the most? I'm not sure. I'm open to things being saved, and then edited later on as I add to the "save" pile. Right now, I tucked away a small folding dollhouse with peg people of my daughter's and wooden push cart with blocks in the bottom. I'm trying to think of the things that will stand the test of time and storage in an attic. I hate getting rid of toys. I always think of all those poor, sad toys in the Toy Story movies... obviously I have a problem...

Magformers and maybe one baby doll. The rest will happily go.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

MIL saved DH's wooden blocks collection which does get played. She also saved dolls and stuffies which do not (she washed them but really grandma, they're almost 40 years old and those dust mites are here to stay). She also saved SIL's dollhouse but I am concerned about lead paint among other things - and it will need a LOT of work to restore (plus it's huge).

My mom saved our Playmobil (mostly for visiting neighbor's kids) and my kids love playing with them when they visit her.

As for us - probably our wooden barn and wooden barn animals (Holtziger). Some AG stuff and some heirloom dolls MIL has bought the girls. Definitely some sentimental stuffies until they fall apart. Plus a few things for visiting kids to play with - i.e. not to hold on to as an heirloom, but for sharing with visitors.

for Sandy Hook

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I haven't saved anything yet, other than the Fisher Price ATV ride-on that my mom saved and now all her grandkids used. So, yeah, my grandkids will have a toy from 1973

I will likely save some of the Thomas trains, magnatiles, and AG things. I will likely keep most of the board games that are often played. My mom has most of mine and we love being able to play them at her house.
    Kris

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My mother didn't save things; I did.

I still have my childhood baby doll (which DD has fallen in love with,) my Steiff teddy bear, my Digger the Dog stuffed dog (that I used to tie shoelaces to & drag around the house,) and my AG dolls & books, but I only ever had the historical dolls because mine are pre-Mattel-sale Kirsten and Molly dolls.

I also saved my My Little Pony toys, including one first-generation Pony!, and DD loves to play with these today.

Honestly, I saved more of my childhood favorite picture books than my toys, as I didn't have all that many.

Of DD's things, I think we'll save the things she plays with most often ... and the things I am sentimental about, like the Waldorf doll I liked but DD doesn't really seem to care about, or the wooden toys that will last long enough to be handed down to grandbabies.

Everything else can probably go - garage sale, Craigslist or hand down to the younger babies wherever there's room.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

a few books. maybe some blocks or something. mainly I will save art work they make. i don't have any toys from childhood and no sadness about that at all.

On and their lovies.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

My mother did save some things but her basement flooded after a pipe broke and she had to throw everything away because it was so water damaged and mildewed. MIL seemed to keep everything. I hope to be somewhere between the two. I will keep DS's legos and the instruction books for them. I want to keep DD's Little People and little people house. I will keep her Calin doll and the corolla clothes (not the walmart and TRU clothes though) DD just got a playmobil doll house and I might keep that (we'll see how "beloved" it becomes). I think I'm going to keep all the Cars cars, we have all the main characters from the first movies and most from the second. I think it will still be neat for my DGC kind of how Star Wars is still cool now. DD is getting her first AG doll next month for her birthday. I'm planning on keeping those too, especially the Kirsten collection I ordered when they discontinued her line a few years ago.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

I have big bins going to a consignment sale this week- my 4th sale and I send toys every time - my youngest just turned 5 but worried i've gotten rid of too much - sounds like too little!
    I still have all the little people plus my old little people plus some old little people I got on EBay (DH and I love LP and so did our oldest DD). I will probably purge at some point.

I kept toys from each age that kids liked a lot and are durable to survive years in the attic. My kids LOVE playing with old toys at my parents and even though they kept a fair amount, a few baby toys, baby dolls and clothes, building stuff, Legos, some of my playmobil, TONS of books, I still say- oh, where's my playmobile operating room?? Or where's my little house in the prairie series? All my brothers GI joe and Star Wars figures legs snapped off in the attic heat, just FYI (the elastic rotted).
    I loved playing with the few toys my mom had of her old toys when I was young too.

Some books, automoblox cars and schleich animals..at this point I think thats all.
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast