dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I am never going to get a date night at this rate...

January: Scheduled for a night in a hotel, nice dinner, MIL watching kids. 5 am the day we are supposed to go, my DD climbs in bed with a 103 fevered. CANCELLED

Feb: Rescheduled night for last weekend, same arrangements, there may or may not be a snow storm Saturday night, we have a nasty driveway. Of course by Thursday my MIL starts calling telling us how worried she will be if it snows because she wants to take the kids out. By Friday at 6 pm we relent and cancel hotel room by cancellation deadline. Snows 2 inches after 9 pm Saturday night and my MIL still doesn't volunteer to take the kids anywhere on Saturday.

This Weekend: We decide to scale down and get a babysitter, dinner and a movie. We have friends who have kids are age and the Dad's father has been in bad health for months, looks like he might be on death's door, so we have the 4 kids for the weekend, not 2, so they can go down and be with the dying father. Don't feel good about having the babysitter do 4 kids, 2 aren't ours. Cancelled again.

I'm glad we can do a favor for our friends, really. I feel bad we can't take their foster daughter since we aren't certified to take her, but they have arrangements for her. I've also been sick for two days lying in bed and off work, so I probably wouldn't enjoy things as much as I could.

It's just, Dammit, I want to go out with my husband!!!!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

that sinks so sorry. you are a good friend
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That is frustrating. Keep making those plans and eventually at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later) you will succeed!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I hope you get your chance soon.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Don't give up, try for another night.

In the meantime, how about a date at home. We've bought some frozen TJs horderves, fancy cheese, crackers, bottle of wine and got a pay-per-view movie. Not the same as going out on a date night..but a little more special than normal night at home.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

that stinks. i kinda know the feeling..last year DH & I were supposed to go for a date night but then the day before i got AF and got a horrible migraine so i canceled it. another time, we were supposed to run quick errands first and then go to dinnr, but there was horrible traffic, the restaurant had too long of a wait time, so we ended up rushing and getting something at a cafe. i was so pissed!! the only time we get date nights these days is when we drive 6+ hrs to the ILs, and usually we're exhausted at that point. i really need to call our sitter and set something up but like you say, with so many illnesses and things popping up i hate making all these plans and getting my hopes up only for them to fall through for whatever reason.

can i just say though, you are such a good friend to do this for your friends (watch their kids for the weekend so they can be with dying parent). i'm sure they appreciate it immensely.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Don't give up, try for another night.

In the meantime, how about a date at home. We've bought some frozen TJs horderves, fancy cheese, crackers, bottle of wine and got a pay-per-view movie. Not the same as going out on a date night..but a little more special than normal night at home.
    We used to do this all the time. But our kids are older now and by the time bedtimes are completely, really done, it's 9:30 pm. With friends over its going to be a little later. So it's not the same as when we could tuck them into bed at 7pm and get takeout.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

oy. That really sucks. Hope the stars align soon!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/