Thread: vit D

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default vit D

I had blood work done last August and I was low in vit D. PCP started me on high dosage vit D for 12 weeks. I found out after I finished that I was doing Vit D2 which is not what should be given as a supplement! She advised that I do 2000IU everyday after that, and I actually started with 4000IU. I have been pretty diligent about it and had some work done again last week, and vit D is stll low! I have no idea why...would love to hear if there have been BTDT. thanks.

My chiro recommends 1000iu per thirty pounds of body weight per day. That's what I take and I am getting my levels checked next week, so I'll let you know.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Thanks for the info. I'll check with my PCP. Meanwhile I am wondering if there s anything Ty causes malabsorption of vit D.

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think it's more common than people think it is. My dr. Checked mine and it was low,my mom checked hers and it was low as well. We live with cloudy cold winters so I think that might be part of it.

I think vitamin K deficiency can reduce vitamin D absorption. I think adequate calcium and magnesium are important too. Vitamin K can be found in dark leafy vegetables.
    DD '06
    DD '14

chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Look up vit. D council and see what they have on there. I was looking at there web site the other day and think its pretty interesting.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Taking 1000-2000iu day is maintenance if you're at an ok level. You will need to take a lot more daily for a few months to boost your levels. Like 10'000-20'000 iu.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm in the same boat so will be following this thread. I took Rx Vit D (50,000IU) for 8 weeks but didn't do my follow up bloodwork for another month after that (due to illness) and just found out my Vit D level is even lower! I'm taking OTC 5000IU now and will do another bloodwork in 8 weeks and we'll take it from there. I was just surprised that taking the Rx Vit D didn't build up my levels at all.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Do you have Hashimoto's? Frequently a lack of Vitamin D is related. It can also be related to Celiac's.

I take 6,000 per day of Vitamin D. It keeps me at the minimum for being normal.

Very interesting! I am hypothyroid, and recently had the doctor check me for my levels in addition to check my thryroid antibodies. He says the antibodies test looks normal, so no hashmoto's. parallely I have been reading that hypothyroids can be affected by gluten, though not sure about being celiac. I was thinking of going off gluten to see if I feel better. Maybe I will and see if my levels improve. thanks for that tip. I will dig deeper into the connection.