MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Another FB weirdness

NicciG's FB post reminded me of this but I didn't want to hijack her thread.

So I have a FB friend who's kids are in that gawky early teen phase. So when she posts photos of her kids she mostly uses ones from when they were little. How freaking weird is that?!?!

Like talking about a big snowstorm that is CURRENTLY going on, she'll post photos of her kids when they were toddlers in the snow. (I also happen to know those photos were taken in another country!!)

Bizarre, right?
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Aw, I'd say it's nostalgia.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

that's bizarre. love your gawky kid. or skip the photos.

i also don't really like when people use their kids photos as THEIR facebook image.... it's one thing to have a picture WITH your kids, but just your kid? that's not you...and if you were my friend from highschool or even graduate school (or even my SIL ) i think "who is that? i don't have any 5 year olds on my facebook?!"!"

wellyes-- i also thought "nostalgia" but i think that needs to made obvious like "kids weren't into the snow this time-- more into their iPhones...here is a picture from 2005 in XYZ when they still thought it was magical..."

else, i might think like OP-- "oh, your kids aren't cute anymore?"

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Does she not want current pics of her kids for security/safety reasons? That is the first thing I thought of.

I'm kind of thinking the kids aren't giving her so many photo ops these days? I doubt it's that she doesn't love how her kids look right now.

My nieces who are in that 12-14 age range do not like to have photos taken of them, and will do ANYTHING to avoid having their picture taken. They hide behind their hair, put hands in front of their faces, throw themselves facedown on the couch, etc, etc. Either that, or they make overly ridiculous faces in the pictures. So we go visit them all and I get lots of nice pictures of my own kids and my younger nieces & nephew, and it looks like the older ones don't exist or I don't care about them when we look back at the photos. Not intentional, just how it works with that age group. (The one exception is that since they don't see my kids very often, they'll nicely pose with my girls for a few photos. Phew!)

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    I'm kind of thinking the kids aren't giving her so many photo ops these days? I doubt it's that she doesn't love how her kids look right now.

Although I do think it's weird she doesn't at least say "reminds me of our Norwegian winters when the kids were small" or some sort of nod to why she's posting toddler pics.

Kids as FB profile pic doesn't bother me at all. I think people tend to have tons more photos of their kids than of themselves.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Kids as FB profile pic doesn't bother me at all. I think people tend to have tons more photos of their kids than of themselves.
    I agree. I've seen all kinds of analysis/criticism of people who have their kids as their profile pic (here and elsewhere) and I think it's all a little silly. I sometimes make my kid my prof pic if it's their birthday, or I just have a particularly cute picture that makes me happy. My kids are much cuter than I am!
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I agree. I've seen all kinds of analysis/criticism of people who have their kids as their profile pic (here and elsewhere) and I think it's all a little silly. I sometimes make my kid my prof pic if it's their birthday, or I just have a particularly cute picture that makes me happy. My kids are much cuter than I am!
    Yeah, the have been some eye-roll worthy blog posts on the matter. I've had a cartoon version of myself, a pic of my late mom, pics of DH and me, pics of me alone, and pics of the kids as my profile. And my favorite, a Disney Character and me. The pop-psych blog "analyses" are just after page clicks I think. It's just a photo! (PP, not aimed at you, there's a difference between not liking something your friends do, and writing an indictment of society. )
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Op, it could be that her kids refuse to let her post their pics! That is a tough age.. Mine are trained but I know kids that age who run screaming from the camera!!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis