Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Tween/Teen Clothes

My DD will be 10 soon, and has started developing. Her body has changed so fast that none of her clothes fit her! She has broad shoulders from swimming, breast buds, a little bit of a tummy due to her body changing, and long thin legs and arms. She loves leggings, but I'm having a hard time finding tops long enough for her. She has a long torso and is almost 5 feet. She is already wearing a women's size 7.5 shoes! She is wearing an XL in girls (size 14/16) but soon those will not fit. Many tops in that size are already tight. They also have to be cut modestly enough for her training bra to not show. She tried on a size small dress at Old Navy today and it fit her, but it was too low cut (scoop neck).

Should I try Junior sizes??? Anyone know of stores that sell decent quality for a good price? She loves bright colors, but not too much bling or anything too trendy. She won't wear a top with the store name on it either. She has never liked Justice. When she was little, it was so much fun shopping at Gymboree. Is there something like that for tweens/teens? I'd like a B&M store so she can try things on before I buy. Thanks!!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Try H&M.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD1 isn't developing all yet, but she's probably a size 12 already just from her height. I've had luck with Old Navy, Gap, Mini Boden, Next, and some of the older looking Gymbo tops. We get sleeveless or short sleeve shirts at Old navy and we layer them over a t-shirt or a long sleeved shell. She mostly wears skirts now, which I usually buy from Junee. Finding clothes for her is a trip. At least she wears uniform most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    My DD1 isn't developing all yet, but she's probably a size 12 already just from her height. I've had luck with Old Navy, Gap, Mini Boden, Next, and some of the older looking Gymbo tops. We get sleeveless or short sleeve shirts at Old navy and we layer them over a t-shirt or a long sleeved shell. She mostly wears skirts now, which I usually buy from Junee. Finding clothes for her is a trip. At least she wears uniform most of the time.
    My DD just asked if she could wear a uniform! She said it would be so much easier than planning what to wear every day. Thanks for the suggestions. I've never even heard of a couple of those stores. I'm fashion challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Try H&M.
    I've never been to H&M but I think it's time to take a trip to the mall. Thanks for reminding me about it!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My older DD is 11.5. At Target, she can still wear the 14/16 girls tops, but they are often short in the torso and sleeves. She can wear a women's XS or S (which is like Junior sizing). The nice thing is that the women's section is quite a bit less bling-y than the kids section.

She would rather die than wear something from Gymboree. I never seem to have luck when I go into H&M but YMMV.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

My almost 10 yo has a very long torso, and a belly, and we are struggling too. Right now, I'm having better luck with boys shirts, and have gotten her wearing plain long sleeve tees from Old Navy.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would try boden (mini boden or their junior line - use free shipping free returns codes so you don't have to waste money on shipping) or even Hanna Andersson (purchased from the outlet lol for leggings and basics) since she is still on the young side. They tend to run into bigger sizes.

We like H and M a lot.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It sounds like she is pretty much in the Jr. sizes now...luckily the layered look with cami's and tank tops can help with tops/dresses that are lower cut.

I'd look at American Eagle, GAP, and all the major dept stores in their JR. dept. Justice does go to size 18, so maybe she could look in their again, my DD who is 9.5, is wearing a size 12 in their stuff, she is super skinny but about 57" tall. We can't wear their pants because they don't have an adjustable waist, but their tops are nice and long.

Do you have a Tiliys? Nordstrom rack? My oldest had her "uniform" of jeans, Vans, and a tee shirt or a tank/Cami and a tee. Jeans from American eagle covered her rear end.

Target had nice stuff (on sale!) for that age group too.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast