Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our school starts them in 1st. They start with adding 1's and get 5 minutes to finish 100 problems. They then work down to 1 minute for 100, and so on. 2's, then 3's, etc.

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We do math timed tests in our district too. DD is in first and the are up to 12 right now.

It's basic math (addition/subtraction), 3 lines with 10 equations. Each line gets 20 seconds. So 2 seconds an equation.

Even our teacher says she's not a fan, but we have to do them. Luckily, it's pretty easy for DD so she doesn't get too stressed but it has an can cause a lot of stress.
    Last edited by LexyLou; 03-05-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don't think they are evil but I don't think they are necessary and I think they do teach a lot of kids to think they are bad at math or to be scared of math. When really they might be great at math but not the faster writer or have a processing speed delay or just not super with arithmetic. Arithmetic is just scratching the surface of mathematics. In the long run spending a ton of time on speed drills is counter productive. Time spent on problem solving, logic and number theory would be more productive in the long haul IMO.
    Last edited by kijip; 03-05-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Asianmommy View Post
    I hate timed tests, too. I agree that it's important to know your math facts without thinking, but you can accomplish that with repetition...without timed tests.
    But how do you assess that they do know them without thinking?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

As someone with a degree in math who tutors kids on a regular basis, I think it is important to have very good recall of math facts. It is very difficult to teach any kind of higher order math if the person has to count on their fingers or even use a calculator for simple arithmetic. Eventually, unless they have a 504/IEP, they will most likely need to take timed tests like the SAT to continue on. Even on non-standardized tests, there is a time limit.

I do think that just relying on timed tests to teach this is a poor way to do it. The timed test should be the assessment at some point, but not 2-3 times a week and probably not until they have been practiced sufficiently so that the students can be successful on the first few to build confidence. Most places, our school included, don't spend time on the practice in school, but rely on parents to do this at home. I get that it is something easy to delegate to parents and they don't want to spend class time on, but that puts the parents in the 'Drill Sargent' spot, especially if the school does not give them other resources beyond flash cards.

We use computer games or other ways at home to teach them. I have yet to use flash cards with my kids and they are doing fine on the timed tests. Our school starts the timed tests when they reach second grade math - this can be in first grade for some students. They seem to go with one set per year - addition, subtraction, multiplication, division so that by 4th/5th they are fluent. Also, our school uses Ottercreek/Rocket Math, which first tests writing speed so that each child's goal is customized to their ability to write numbers. This means that DS1 had a very low goal in the first grade and has moved up. He still is fairly slow at writing, but has not maxed out the goal.

Dd is in first, and they don't really have timed quizzes. They do have a timed test for assessments (just a few times a year ) but it's pretty different from the traditional timed test. The standards that rely on timed assessments are (1) fluency adding and subtracting single digits (but the time limit is really long), and (2) adds and substrates within 20. The time limit is very long for both of these. I know the second one is 5 minutes per sheet. To be secure, you need to complete an addition sheet in 5 minutes and a subtraction sheet within 5 minutes. If you want to get "exceeds," you need to complete a mixed addition and subtraction within 5 minutes. DD is very anxious and hasn't mentioned any stressful timed tests.

I actually just asked her and she said, "we almost never do it." Her school is very progressive and modern when it comes to teaching and curriculum. (She only gets a few minutes of homework a day.)
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It has been torture for DS1 and timed math tests. He doesn't like math and is very slow and makes careless errors, even though he knows how to do the problems. However, for DS2, his class is trialing a math curriculum called rocket math. He is in an experimental multi-age classroom, so they needed a curriculum that could be catered toward kids with varying math levels. Anyway, it has been great. The worksheets for each level start from A-Z. Your child starts out at A and they have, "goals" that they have to meet. Like 20 correct math problems in one minute. Once they have met that goal, they move on to level B, etc.. DS2 has been extremely self-motivated with this curriculum and doesn't loathe timed math tests like his big brother who's in 3rd grade, b/c he is used to it and finds it a self challenge. The teachers have loved the program and have presented it to the school board in hopes of the rest of the school adapting to this curriculum. They said that even kids in class who are weak at math continue to make steady progress and they aren't put off by the time tests. I only wish that DS1 would have experienced this curriculum too, he just hates timed math tests and I don't blame him. However, the way that the rocket math curriculum has been presented has made it a lot less stressful for the kids. DS2 comes home from school and is proud to annouce to me that he passed onto the next level (letter, he is in W, now so almost ready to flip to the next big level). You don't often hear about kids who LIKE timed math.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hate them for my DD. She is a slow worker, but very smart. Her Dad is exactly the same. He has 2 advanced degrees and is amazing in math. But he is just slow. His teacher in elementary called him "tortuga" or turtle.

I posted in the other thread. My DD will finish about 2/3 of timed math tests, but will get every answer correct. Her brain just doesn't work quickly, and when she is timed, it almost shuts down. It is a problem when every kid is turning in their test, and she is still working on hers. This causes even more anxiety. We have talked about it with the teacher and counselor, and considered evaluating her for ADHD inattentive type. It really is causing her anxiety. And the problem for me is that she knows the facts. The timed aspect is what's causing her to say "I'm not good at math." It breaks my heart for her.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    However, for DS2, his class is trialing a math curriculum called rocket math. He is in an experimental multi-age classroom, so they needed a curriculum that could be catered toward kids with varying math levels. Anyway, it has been great. The worksheets for each level start from A-Z. Your child starts out at A and they have, "goals" that they have to meet. Like 20 correct math problems in one minute.
    This is what our school uses as well. If they are following it by the book, the 'goal' is set based on each child's ability to write. If you have a slow writer, they will have a lower goal than a faster writer.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I posted in the other thread. My DD will finish about 2/3 of timed math tests, but will get every answer correct. Her brain just doesn't work quickly, and when she is timed, it almost shuts down.
    This was exactly my experience with older DD and her timed tests in third grade. She NEVER met the goal of 100 multiplication problems in 3 minutes. NEVER. But is has never been an issue for her since then either. She processes a little slower, but it has never been an issue for her on standardized tests.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast