ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default fretting - questions, request for ideas

My questions/concerns about the following: Is this something 4-6 year old boys are likely to find fun? Is there a way to make a fairy party more unisex? I chose an 11:00 am Sat time over a 3 pm Sunday time because the afternoon is deep in nap territory for us and probably some of our guests. But I'm concerned that most families are pretty busy Sat mornings in the spring and am second-guessing the time. The guest list includes ages 3-6 (siblings). We're inviting close friends, her preschool class and some kids from church. The max # of kids for the party is 16 and we definitely won't have that many. She has a list in mind that includes acquaintances - Is it tacky to invite people you don't really know well? I always feel like it is. Becoming a Mom is making me change my social perspectives. We'll invite who she wants (within reason), but I hate that people would think it's just to have bodies at a party. TIA for suggestions! Talk me down from getting crazier about this, please...

It's over-the-top for us - We won't be doing this every year. It's the end of DD's time with her preschool friends of 3 years. She has expressed disappointment that she won't be going to school anywhere near them and I think this would be a positive way to wrap things up. Half of her class is boys. I'm worried that this theme she asked for and loves is going to be off-putting to the boys and we'll end up missing them. How do you make "Fanciful Fairy Party" sound attractive to boys on a bday party invitation? I like to think that boys are as interested in themes marketed to girls as girls are in things traditionally "boy", but I don't have boys, so maybe that's just a nice thought. ?

DD loves fairies and we've found a place that puts on a party with a "fanciful fairy" theme, held outdoors when possible, complete with a Fairy Godmother who is the hostess, leads the kids on fairy hunts and in games and stories, and provides wands, wings and fairy dust. (And goody bags of loot that are basically full of promotional stuff for this awesome private park.) I've seen pics and it's not as unisex as the representative described on the phone. It's pink, purple and lace. I like that the place provides the tablecloths and entertainment but I don't have a say in the colors. We provide the cake and any other refreshments. I think the Fairy Godmother has her own stories and games and I've been told she incorporates "boy fairies" in her gig.

DD's oldest boy friend's mom said he'd love it. She described it to him in front of me and asked if he'd like that kind of party and he was enthusiastic.

Too girly? How to make it more unisex? Favor ideas welcome. What's tacky? What's not? Help!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

1. There is no perfect party time. I avoid 11 just bc I don't want to feed people meals but it's been a good time for a lot of people.

2. It's great to invite acquaintances. It's always nice to build your social circle. Maybe they will become friends. That can't happen if someone doesn't take the 1st step.

3. Knights or pirates + fairy and don't predetermine who will be allowed to play with what (like make unisex goodie bags and have themed stuff be fair game). Invites? It doesn't matter if it appeals to the guests...it's about the b-day kid, imo. Do you have to use their goodie bags? Couldn't you skip them or at least add your own stuff? No biggie on the decorations.

4. It's your dd's party. It really is ok if it is girlie The boys will have fun.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think your timing is fine!

My first thought was 'Fairies and Knights' too, but even if the venue doesn't do that, you could make the invitation fairly unisex. Get a custom one on Etsy. Once the kids are there, trust the pro to do a good job entertaining the kids.

It sounds like a lot of fun, and, at that age, I bet the birthday girl will have a blast epithet even a few friends. I also think parties at special places like that get a higher turnout than house parties. It'll be fine.

FEIW, in my dd's preschool the boys and girls play mostly in separate groups (if given the option, and with a few exceptions) but I haven't seen boys refusing to play with girlie stuff or mocking it or anything along those lines.
    Last edited by wellyes; 03-04-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5