Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Chart for getting ready in the morning

I need help brainstoring ideas for Arwyn to get ready more efficiently in the morning. Basically when she gets out of bed, she needs to 1) get dressed including socks, 2) do her hair, 3) make her bed. I want to fix it so she doesn't have to go back upstairs after breakfast. Because when she does she gets distracted by doing her hair again and again. Or, for some reason when she goes back upstairs to put on her socks it takes 10 minutes because she has to pick the socks, then adjust them just right so the seams don't bother her, after which she starts fussing over her hair again (there is a big mirror on top of the girl's dresser. When she doesn't go back upstairs things go much more smoothly and they are ready for the bus with plenty of time to spare. But when she does (like this morning) we're hustling her out the door very unhappy and I'm about to burst a blood vessel (probably MY problem).

So, has anyone bought or diy'd their own little chart for getting ready? I'm remembering the little charts from the book, "cheaper by the dozen" where each kid had to check off everytime they brushed their teeth, took a bath, etc so they wouldn't leave anything out. I don't mind something like that, but I'd rather not use chalk or writing utensils. Something like magnets? Pictures with words?
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There was a thread in July about chore charts with lots of good links to free pictures to download. do a search on "chore chart" or "chores" and you should find it.

I made for some for my kids, they were kind of complicated. Since you don't want to use markers (I didnt' either), I used a magnetic dry erase board.

I printed the pictures from some of the links, laminated them and cut them out.

I attached magnets to the back of each picture.

Then, when my kids are done with each job, they move it to other side of the board.

Now, we don't even move the magnets. It's just a visual reminder for what they have to do.
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Thanks Beth! Her morning routine printable looks great! The only thing is, do you know where I might find the picture/clip art she uses? How do I customize? It has been decades (yes decades!) since I've gone searching for clip art (is that term used anymore?), and I don't even know where to look.

oops, thanks Knaidel, just saw your post!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I purchased the one on etsy here. Some good ideas for categories. We use it 2x a day for chores.

You could make one similar if you are handy.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/62362544...udes?ref=&sref=
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Another option (which you could do in addition to the chart) would be to put a basket of socks downstairs. Then if she doesn't have socks, she doesn't have to go back up to get them. I get that eventually you want her to do it before she comes down, but if it is too much for her to get it all at once, you could start with just the dressed/hair part and slowly add the other stuff.

On the chart, though, I like this idea with a cookie sheet: http://chaosserveddaily.blogspot.com...s-to-bone.html

Similar to hillview's chart, but might be easier to find/make.

Another one: http://aspottedpony.com/diy/make-cle...re-chart/3867/

I searched 'cookie sheet chore chart' and then looked at the images that came up to find these.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I keep younger DD's socks downstairs.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

lyt202 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

This magnetic chart looks like it would be easy to customize. I know Zulily has a deal on them that ends today.

http://www.easydaysies.com/

Thanks everyone for all the cool ideas! I was at Target earlier this morning, so I ended up getting a small magnetic dry erase board and extra magnets. I'll be working on the board this week.

that's a good idea about putting the socks downstairs. Wonder if I should do that for all of them? They tend to forget socks because normally they don't wear them.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Since you're doing this for personal use, I'd use google images search to find images that suit your schedule best. You can narrow your search by image type (e.g., clip art, line art, color, b&w).
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast