Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: So, so upset

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am so sorry. I'm in academia and my campus is a barren waist land of empty faculty lines that can't be filled due to budget cuts. We've even had to phase out 3 majors. We are only hiring adjuncts for the department "pool" and 1 and 2yr "visiting" professors. I feel bad for a few faculty who've uprooted their families just to have an income for a year with no guarantee of anything after the 10mos is up. I have a friend in theology who's been adjuncting for several years with the promise that he'd get hired once the chair retired and his line opened up. Well that chair retired last year and the line was closed. Friend is left to still adjunct 3 classes a semester. He's 36.

Hugs to you. I'm sure something amazing is awaiting you.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I hear you. I'm in your same situation, only 10 years older. Hang in there, keep publishing, I'm hopeful that at some point it will turn around. This market sucks big time.

I'm so sorry you're having a rough time, it especially sucks on a milestone birthday. Although I think you're a whippersnapper! So many wonderful things have happened to me since 30! Hang in there!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I can totally empathize. DH is 42, got his PhD in a liberal arts field, in a top-tier university about 10 years ago, and still does not have a tenure track position. He has been 'lucky' to piece together contract work, but the pay sucks, and he is totally taken advantage of. It is demoralizing, and incredibly anxiety-provoking that we don't know from year to year what work/income he'll have.

The market just really, really sucks- how do you compete when 200-300 equally qualified people apply for one position?! Many of his grad school friends have decided to leave academia and go into consulting/industry. But DH refuses, since he still LOVES what he does (teaching, writing, etc), despite the deplorable working conditions and lack of job security.

Sorry to go on a bit, just wanted to say I can empathize- the situation in academia (especially in the arts and humanities) is really terrible right now.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

I'm so sorry, and so close to your birthday! I hope you manage to celebrate anyway. Academia is a terrible place to be in right now. This is why I left a few years ago to retrain in a completely different field. The stories from the trenches are scary.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

I'm so, so sorry! Sending birthday mojo for the perfect job!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Happy Birthday, and keep your head up
    I've BTDT and searched for 8 years (while adjuncting at up to 3 different schools a semester) until I landed my current position. It feels great to have tenure now, but it was a LONG road.
    Since this is the BP, you go ahead and have at it girl.

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have a wonderful birthday. Praying something comes through for you.

Happy Birthday - my wishes for a better job market, and soon! It is so rough out there, but clearly you are an excellent, excellent candidate.

I'm sorry. I know you're just venting and you have every right to, but I just wanted to share that things will eventually work out.

Dh was in a job that provided very well for us but that he hated. He wanted out for all the right reasons and looked for a long time for something that would pay enough to continue to support us yet was in a slightly different field that would still allow him to use his extensive education (he was an attorney). It seemed impossible and every opportunity always fell through in some way, but when the time was right, he found the perfect opening that allowed us to still live where we were, that provided for us and that was WORLDS better than his old one for hours/stress level. It wasn't a quick fix or fun at the time, but things did work out when they were supposed to. And they will for you too....but I know it's extremely stressful.

Hang in there and keep your chin up. And happy, happy birthday!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3