Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sam's club

Default Sam's club

I am still debating whether I should jump into that SAMs club deal on living social? Are there members here who are happy to recommend joining? What product there are worth the trip? Thanks.

I shop there a lot. There is no Costco near me, so I can not compare. But, we buy a good many products there for our business. And personally, we buy: toilet paper, paper towels, milk, bread (2 loaves for $3.xx), eggs, fruit, organic spring lettuce, big blocks of cheese, chips (2 extra large bags for less than $5), coffee. We used to buy formula there when dc were little.
    The gas savings are big for us as well.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sams is almost an hour away for us and we haven't had a membership in awhile, but decided to jump on this because DH will only drink Dunkin Donuts coffee and they beat any sale I can get in other stores, and is even cheaper that most sales if I have a coupon. PLus I can order it online and it ships to me for free. There are a few things DH liked from their freezer section and we likes the cheese and sometimes produce.Their Huggies wipes are also .02/wipe which is cheaper than I've been seeing lately during sales and even a lot of times with Amazon Mom, and those also ship for free. So for us, it was worth it. I wouldn't pay full price for the membership for what we need, but in this case it's a good deal. We also used to get dog food there.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

we go tehre every 2-3 months, and the membership has been invaluable to us. DH says Sam's is a better deal than Costco based on his comparisons, but IMO, Costco has better deals on some stuff. Regardless, we do most of our shopping at Sams for bulk and paper/dry goods. We buy:

toilet paper
    paper towels
    tissues
    napkins
    paper plates
    plastic cups
    trash bags
    baby wipes
    Clorox wipes
    Ziploc bags
    batteries
    juice boxes/cans
    tomato sauce
    Horizon organic milk
    Eggo waffles
    frozen chicken breasts
    orange juice
    cheese
    body lotion
    rewetting eye drops
    shampoo/conditioner

You do need to have decent storage space in your home to do a trip like this though. We usually stock up for several months. We have an extra fridge/freezer
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No Costco here, Sams is about 20 minutes away. We go every 2 weeks or so. Things we get from Sams:

Dog food
    Laundry detergent
    Fabric softener
    Dryer sheets
    Clorox bleach
    Clorox cleaner
    Windex
    Ziploc bags
    Trash bags
    Paper towels
    Toilet paper
    Olive oil
    Vegetable oil
    Rice
    Spices
    Gatorade powder
    Oatmeal
    Maple syrup
    Almonds
    Juice
    Frozen fruit
    Chicken
    Ground beef
    Egg rolls
    Cheese
    Shaving gel
    Contact solution
    Last edited by Kymberley; 03-06-2013 at 09:59 AM.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    we go tehre every 2-3 months, and the membership has been invaluable to us. DH says Sam's is a better deal than Costco based on his comparisons, but IMO, Costco has better deals on some stuff. Regardless, we do most of our shopping at Sams for bulk and paper/dry goods. We buy:

toilet paper
    paper towels
    tissues
    napkins
    paper plates
    plastic cups
    trash bags
    baby wipes
    Clorox wipes
    Ziploc bags
    batteries
    juice boxes/cans
    tomato sauce
    Horizon organic milk
    Eggo waffles
    frozen chicken breasts
    orange juice
    cheese
    body lotion
    rewetting eye drops
    shampoo/conditioner

You do need to have decent storage space in your home to do a trip like this though. We usually stock up for several months. We have an extra fridge/freezer
    I didn't know they carried Horizon milk, do you know how much it is? Maybe I"ll go once a month or so now. THey may have things I didn't know I could get there! We have an extra fridge we could put some cartons in.

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How much cheaper us the gas?
    DD Spring 2010

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We go every week-10 days. We both get our gas there. It's SO convenient for us, esp since DH can walk there from his office. I find the staples are cheaper there, plus there are fewer impulse buys to tempt me. It's not amazing, it's not gross, it's just fine. People are pleasant, and the more or less the same people have been at our store since it opened 8 or so years ago. Our costco is always a zoo and it is 30 min. from home. Sam's is a much more pleasant shopping experience crowd-wise, or maybe that's just because they're open earlier with longer hours and I go earlier.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do they still offer the trial memberships? Give it a try and see. Or see if you can join with your deal and, if you do not like the club, quit and get a prorated reimbursement? Sam's is the only warehouse club in our area. As far as I remember, they do not accept manufacturer's coupons (whereas, BJ's did). They also only accept certain credit cards, so that might be an issue for you. We do not eat a lot of processed food but still get our dollar's worth there. We buy:

-paper products
    -90% of our produce
    -angus hamburgers
    -proscuitto
    -eggs (when we cannot get our fresh pastured)
    -single containers of mandarin oranges in juice
    -maple syrup
    -big bags of raw almonds
    -spices
    -OTC medication
    -books
    -batteries

We do not live near a Costco. I really miss Costco, as I found that they had more organic, however, Sam's does not quickly discontinue items like Costco so that is a HUGE bonus!

Good luck!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you have allergies and take either zytec or claritin, their house brand of these is SUPER CHEAP, I got 200 tabs of claritin for about 22.00

I get a huge bag of 8 individual bags of edamame with sea salt for about 8.00.

I find their Rotisserie chickens great and they're 4.99.

Bananas are usually a good deal too.

Our Meijer store has competitive produce/frozen/dry goods prices but occasionally I'll get produce there too and other things that seem well priced. I did find their Fiber One bars were a great deal, but I don't eat them anymore...too much sugar in them for me.

I did get a 12 pack of Atkins shakes for about 11.00.

I often find great deals on deodarant too, 3 packs of the clinical Secret were about 12.00.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast