Default Sleep & food issues, possible constipation?

I wasn't sure if this would fit in the KidFood or Sleep forums, so I'm posting here hoping for some advice.

DS recently went from having 2-3 bowel movements per day to 1 per day. 2 nights in a row he has woken up at 2AM screaming, as though he's in pain. We have tried CIO during those wake ups to no avail. The first night DH changed DS's diaper. Then we brought him into our bed. When we do this, DS always climbs all over us and just babbles. He will not lay down and rest. We tried putting him back in his crib and he began screaming again. This went on for awhile, then DH took DS downstairs to attempt to calm him. He gave him teething tablets thinking this was the issue. He brought DS back upstairs and placed him in the crib. More screaming ensued until I finally nursed him and he went back to sleep. The whole ordeal lasted about 2 hours.

Last night - DS again awoke at 2AM. DH again changed DS's diaper. The screaming was so bad, we decided to try to let him CIO. DS's screaming was relentless. After about 10-15 minutes I nursed him back to sleep.

DS is VERY happy overall during the day. He is such a good baby. I should inform you, just in case, of the following:
    Recently DS has been eating finger foods. He loves anything carb based - bread, pizza crusts, puffs, crackers, cookies, etc. He loves chicken. He hates anything that's "wet." For example - DS will not eat bananas or canned veggies or fruit, etc, but he will eat peas, but I have to dry them off. If the food is wet he will attempt to pick it up and then quickly try to shake it off his fingers. I've tried fresh and frozen veggies and fruit, but he won't eat those either (except for peas). I cannot figure out for the life of me why he does this! DS will however eat 6-8 ozs of baby food once he decides he's done eating finger foods. I don't know where he fits all of this food! Over the past few days, he hasn't seemed very interested in eating much of anything. I'm not sure if it's teething (I do see some the outline of his top 2 teeth) or constipation or something else.

DS has also been eating typically 1 yogurt per day. In addition he nurses twice- morning and night. He also gets 3 bottles at daycare consisting of 4ozs BM and 1 oz whole milk each. I planned to increase the whole milk to 2 ozs per bottle and 3 ozs of BM this weekend.

Do you think he's waking and/or not eating as much because he's constipated? If so, what do you think the cause is - milk or solids? Is this normal?
    Last edited by psimpson3-5; 03-06-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: fixed typos
    Proud mom to one & only DS born 4/12
    Expecting someone new in April 2016

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would back off the whole milk and give him prunes to help his bowels move. What you described sounds like constipation to me.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)