Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    OK, here is my question about Tangled. The witch is truly a terrible mother figure, she STOLE the baby, she was only using her for her hair, etc etc. "Mother Knows Best" is an excellently chilling and awful song. So why did she tell Rapunzel her actual birthday? If it weren't for that clue -- that her birthday is the same day as the lantern celebration / ceremony -- she'd have been in the clear. Not really a plot whole, just, it always bugged me.
    Good question, I've always wondered too. And was "Rapunzel" her real name, or the name Mother Gothel gave her? And if it was not her real name, what *is* her real name?

Tangled is hands down their favorite of the Disney movies so far, and the Tinkerbell movies are (all) close seconds.

As far as "tamest"/least scary Disney movie, my girls both started with Lady and the Tramp. There are a few tenser scenes, but since the characters are mainly animals they were OK with it - they had a much harder time with parent deaths/parent & child separation themes than scary themes.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

The buddies series is great! We have snow buddies, space buddies, Santa buddies. My DS swore off movies at age 3 since he just got too scared, but he will happily watch these (he's almost 6, but just can't deal with anything remotely scary in movies).
    SAHM to DS 4/07 and DD 5/10

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by annex View Post
    I would vote for Pooh too. Or to skip Disney altogether and show My Neighbor Totoro instead.
    Yep, yep. And Kiki (I don't remember anything scary in that).

eta: I liked Ponyo but there's a tidal wave that might be scary. Nthing Aristocats and Lady & the Tramp (the dog pound scene hurts though). We started with the original Pooh though. DS would not watch any live-action movies where dogs are in danger which we learned trying to watch air-bud & beethoven. He refuses to the see the buddies movies for the same reason (I haven't researched the plots so not sure if that is valid).
    Last edited by rlu; 03-07-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

My kids are very sensitive (my 6 year old still runs out of the room at the first sign of tension), and here's what they can handle:

Cars 1 (though the combine harvester scene was scary for a long time)
    Winnie the Pooh (old and new)
    Robin Hood (we skip the fire at the end)
    Cinderella (they're scared of Lucifer the cat, though)
    Wall-E
    Ratatouille (skip sewer/chase scenes and just watch the cooking parts)

And this isn't Disney, but we love Paddington Bear (we bought the complete series, you can youtube the 5 minute episodes)

DH and I actually went through and watched all the Disney classics on Netflix a couple years ago, and we were surprised that MOST of them were way too scary for our kids right now. At this stage, I'm not interested in something I'm going to have to sit down with them and skip half of--which is why we mostly stick with Pooh. We so rarely let them watch TV that they're not tired of our limited options yet.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

soon2b4 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Curious George was DD1's favorite at that age. She did like Cinderella - but could not have handled any other princess movie. I think the Tinkerbell 1st and 4th movies are fine, but DD1 (now 9) still doesn't like parts of the 2nd and 3rd ones - so if your DD is rather sensitive, you might check them out first.
    Happily married to DH 01/96
    Mom to:
    DD1 01/04
    DD2 09/11

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our favorite is an older one called "Oliver and Company", which is the Disney version of Oliver Twist. Excellent music, and there's nothing in there that bothers my just-turned-four year old.

I'm not sure if it's disney, but he also loves the live-action "Marmaduke". His current favorite is a recorded version of "Cats"; the live-theatre musical (great costumes, song and dancing!)

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for posting this. We have a very sensitive DD and have found that we have to skip through to happy parts. We get through lion King in like 30 minutes. Lol

Lady and the tramp has a scene with a rat that I wouldn't have thought was scary but it really bothered her.
    DD Spring 2010

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4