Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What are the LEAST scary/sad disney movies?

I Want to get a few for my 3 year old, but she is pretty sensitive to anything remotely scary or sad. I'd prefer the disney classics, but it's been so long since i've seen them i'm having a hard time remembering which ones have parts that would bother her.

Thanks!

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS1's first was Aristocats. It is pretty benign.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Cars is pretty tame. My kids are super sensitive and aside from an early scene when McQueen slides out of Mac with all the highway sounds, they were fine.

Winnie the Pooh was what we started with. We skip the first chapter in Nemo, but there are still the sharks. Not a classic, but Secret of the Wings is a fav. with my 3 (almost 4)yo here.

My highly sensitive older son started out watching Wall-E. I second the suggestion for Cars (the original, not Cars 2).
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Most of the classic Disney movies are scary. I agree that Cars is okay (but NOT the sequel!). And the new Winnie the Pooh is very tame and sweet, but be careful about the short that comes along with it. It is about how Loch Ness was created from a creature's tears becasue she just cried and cried. So maybe avoid that part of it.

What about Mary Poppins? It is long, so you might have to watch it in pieces. But my DC both love it and have been watching it since age 3 or younger.

I haven't seen any of them straight through, but I think all the Tinkerbell movies probably are pretty safe.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Okay, I'm just going to say it.... Disney movies are NOT very sensitive-kid friendly....

Let's look at Cinderella. Her dad dies, she becomes a servant to her step-mother.

Bambi's mom is shot minutes into the movie.

Belle's father (and then she herself) is held hostage in the Beast's castle.

Nemo has kid/parent separation, and multiple "near miss" episodes.

Toy Story has that evil Sid kid who cackles and tortures toys.

I don't think there's a single Disney movie without some sort of parental issue.

DD started watching them at 6 years old or so.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

I would vote for Pooh too. Or to skip Disney altogether and show My Neighbor Totoro instead.

Yeah, they really all have some scary/tense/sad moments. My DS is also very sensitive. He can't bear to see anyone sad. I agree with the Pooh suggestion--there are a bunch of them.

Also, I like the site common sense media--it is really helpful!! They give each movie an age rating, and then breakdown what you should know about it. For example, here's movies appropriate for 3yos:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/revi...t=stars_rating

My 3 year old DD is very sensitive- the sharks in Nemo are too much. But she loves Cinderella- she doesn't get the storyline yet it's mainly that it isn't scary. Pooh is good and the Tinkerbell movies are good too.
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast