Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree that many Disney movies are pretty amped up and scary. I took my DD and her friends at 8 to Brave and that is pretty scary movie - the mom turns into a terrifying bear that attacks? Bambi? SnowWhite?

My DD could only handle Lady and the Tramp and Mary Poppins until she was 5 or 6.

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kep View Post
    My three year old loooooves Tangled. I'm not a fan of Disney movies usually, but I do like that one.

My 7 yo and her friend were sobbing hysterically throughout this movie. I don't blame them.
    The psychological undertones with that mom were the most disturbing I have seen in a Disney movie.
    Just my 2 cents!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have really sensitive kids too that were afraid of the cat in Cinderella. But, we've been watching anyway and they cover their faces with their blankets (and I turn down the volume) whenever they think a part is too scary, LOL. We've been able to watch Tangled, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin with this technique Their favorite is actually Tangled, but it took them a couple of watchings to get over the scary parts with Mother Gotthel (and they were afraid of Maximus and Hook Hand at first until they "got" that those characters turned into "good guys"), but I think it helped that there's no scary dragon, etc. It's all people. Oh, and mine also liked "Enchanted" which has a scary evil queen/dragon at the end and a much more complicated storyline, but they loved watching Giselle and Pip and the little girl (Morgan) and the singing, etc.

Mary Poppins is a GREAT choice and my girls LOVE it. It IS long though so you will have to break it up. And - my girls were afraid of Bert at first (the part where the kids run away from the bank and bump into him and his face is covered in soot - yeah, that was "scary" for them). But they got over it.

Lady and the Tramp is another choice, but I think my girls found it to be on the boring side...

And OMG I can't believe they'd show Brave in aftercare - that movie has some SERIOUSLY creepy parts even for a much older child! I mean, it is a GREAT movie and I enjoyed it but NO WAY NO WAY would my girls make it even with their blankets!

Anyway at 3yo you can't expect them to understand the whole story for Disney movies so if you go this route, decide on how you are going to "simplify" it. My girls ask endless questions througout a movie for explanation and I quickly learned that I needed a plan of action rather than being totally put on the spot! It helps to watch the movie yourself first - we tend to forget how scary most Disney movies really are.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-07-2013 at 04:27 PM.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anamika View Post
    My 7 yo and her friend were sobbing hysterically throughout this movie. I don't blame them.
    The psychological undertones with that mom were the most disturbing I have seen in a Disney movie.
    Just my 2 cents!
    OK, here is my question about Tangled. The witch is truly a terrible mother figure, she STOLE the baby, she was only using her for her hair, etc etc. "Mother Knows Best" is an excellently chilling and awful song. So why did she tell Rapunzel her actual birthday? If it weren't for that clue -- that her birthday is the same day as the lantern celebration / ceremony -- she'd have been in the clear. Not really a plot whole, just, it always bugged me.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Both my kids are / were VERY sensitive with movies. Punkin FREAKED out in the Jungle Book when Baloo was singing and shadow boxing so we turned it off. Despite loving animals and lions in particular, he has yet to see Lion King (and he's now 9). But we all love the Winnie the Pooh movie tgat came out a couple years ago. Punkin did like Cars at age 4 but it is loud. Disney is somewhat deceiving in that everything is aimed at littler kids but has many very dark and mature themes and undertones. Even in the movies the kids like there are words used that make me cringe (stupid and idiot are pretty prevalent in lots of the modern Disney movies. Not words I want my 3 (now 4) year old repeating.)

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Sound of Music & turn it off after the kids sing the Good Night song?
    DS 2/09

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    OK, here is my question about Tangled. The witch is truly a terrible mother figure, she STOLE the baby, she was only using her for her hair, etc etc. "Mother Knows Best" is an excellently chilling and awful song. So why did she tell Rapunzel her actual birthday? If it weren't for that clue -- that her birthday is the same day as the lantern celebration / ceremony -- she'd have been in the clear. Not really a plot whole, just, it always bugged me.
    Ha ha, I wondered the same thing! We just watched it again, and again (on Blu Ray and then on Disney Channel). I had the exact same thought about her birthday.

Ultimately it might not have mattered. The "lights" were interesting in and of themselves. But yeah, major clue there.

I wonder whether Eugene and Rapunzel's children will have the "flower power." Or did it dissipate when she healed Eugene and all that light went everywhere?

Yeah, I over analyze things.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Very sensitive DD1 likes Cinderella, Winnie the Pooh, the Tigger Movie and the Tinker Bell movies.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

This may not even be a disney movie, but Curious George was one of our early favorites.

Nemo and Cars were the other two that we watched early on. As others have said, we started Nemo after the first scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamabear4 View Post
    This may not even be a disney movie, but Curious George was one of our early favorites.
    Oh, I forgot that one! Curious George is well loved here as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast