Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default 100% whole wheat pizza dough

Tested and approved by all of us! So good!
    Ingredients:
    1 teaspoon honey

1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
    1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3 1/4 cups 100% whole wheat flour ( I use Arrowhead Mills)

1 tsp (to 1T) italian seasoning (I used Penzys Pizza)

Directions:
    1. In a large bowl, dissolve honey in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy. 2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and Italian spices. Tip dough out onto a very lightly floured surface and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. 3. When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled. 4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. This dough stays VERY well. I used a rolling pin and it stayed right where I rolled it. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on lightly Pam sprayed pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorites (we use fire roasted tomatoes, mozz cheese, fontina cheese or Parmesan cheese and basil).
    5. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try it. It sounds like something the kids would like to help make too.
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

Thanks! Maybe ds would like to make this with me sometime.

Catherine

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, thanks! We will want to try this!

I will admit my ignorance/lack of bread baking here---do I find active dry yeast in the baking aisle? How big is the package and what does it look like?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Wow, thanks! We will want to try this!

I will admit my ignorance/lack of bread baking here---do I find active dry yeast in the baking aisle? How big is the package and what does it look like?
    Active dry yeast comes in small packets, usually 3 packets in a connected row I think? They are about the size of a tea bag, maybe a little bigger, and are in the baking aisle, near the spices and flour. Looks like this: http://www.soap.com/p/red-star-activ...la&cagpspn=pla

You can get it in small jars too, like this, should be with the packets at the grocery store: http://www.buythecase.net/product/43...FcZFMgodUBsAdg

You can also get a big vacuum packed package of it at Costco. Less than $5 and looks like this: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/lesa...FegWMgodWFYAVA
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Thank you! We will give this a try
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm looking forward to making this - thanks for sharing!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    Active dry yeast comes in small packets, usually 3 packets in a connected row I think? They are about the size of a tea bag, maybe a little bigger, and are in the baking aisle, near the spices an

Thanks picked up some of this today, along with a baking pizza pan, which I did not have. I plan to try this soon!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Default Pizza pan or pizza stone?

Deleted...meant to make a new thread
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

I tried this tonight, and although it turned out yummy enough I have a couple of questions.

Is this supposed to make 2 pie crusts? I only got one large pie (16") I think I had some trouble with my dough not rising. Okay, stupid question-don't laugh--is it bad to refrigerate the yeast before using? Asking b/c I had mine refrigerated and wonder if that was the problem.

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast