Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    I tried this tonight, and although it turned out yummy enough I have a couple of questions.

Is this supposed to make 2 pie crusts? I only got one large pie (16") I think I had some trouble with my dough not rising. Okay, stupid question-don't laugh--is it bad to refrigerate the yeast before using? Asking b/c I had mine refrigerated and wonder if that was the problem.

thanks!
    We use a similar recipe, and we get two large (maybe 16") or three smaller (maybe 12") pies out of this amount of dough. Did the yeast get foamy? If not, I'd guess that your water might have been too hot.

It's totally fine to keep the yeast in the fridge. I keep mine in the freezer, it stays fresh longer.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    We use a similar recipe, and we get two large (maybe 16") or three smaller (maybe 12") pies out of this amount of dough. Did the yeast get foamy? If not, I'd guess that your water might have been too hot.
    The yeast did get what seemed to be a foam-like coating on the top. Is te whole thing supposed to be foamy? Looks like I also might need to buy a thermometer for the water!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    The yeast did get what seemed to be a foam-like coating on the top. Is te whole thing supposed to be foamy? Looks like I also might need to buy a thermometer for the water!
    I wouldn't worry about a thermometer. The water should feel warmish, but not hot; think baby bath temperature. If it's too hot it'll kill the yeast. I test my water temp for proofing yeast by holding a finger in there for a bit, and if it starts to feel remotely hot/uncomfortable it's too hot.

It should get pretty foamy on the top, but the water underneath will still just be liquidy, it's not supposed to be all mixed in, but it should be bubbly on top.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    I wouldn't worry about a thermometer. The water should feel warmish, but not hot; think baby bath temperature. If it's too hot it'll kill the yeast. I test my water temp for proofing yeast by holding a finger in there for a bit, and if it starts to feel remotely hot/uncomfortable it's too hot.
    Well, I put the water in the microwave, so I would guess it was too hot! LOL! otoh, I do think the foam formed from your description, so not sure!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just dug up this thread to try this out and it turned out well. The only problem was that I didn't allow enough time for rising etc. to actually feed it to the kids for dinner...they had Papa John's instead tonight as it is 8:10 here and they are going to bed in 5 minutes, but I now have two yummy pizzas for the long weekend! Thanks OP!
    Also wanted to add that I used my large glass cutting board (rectangle) the roll the dough out and baked both pies on rimmed cookie sheets (rectangle). So no need to buy special pizza pans etc. and the pieces will probably store more easily this way also.
    Last edited by athompson; 07-03-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2