Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What age did you stop swaddling?

DS1 was an awesome sleeper. He stopped wanting to be swaddled at a few weeks and started rolling over and pinning his arms underneath himself. Of course it was terrifying for a FTM to have a belly sleeper so young. DS2 seems tobe a swaddle addict. He has no control of his arms and whacks himself awake if I try to lay him unswaddled. He's outgrown our Halo swaddle sacks and im looking for something that will fit him. I know Miracle blanket is highly rec'd here so I looked at those, but it says they are for up to 14 weeks as after that you should stop swaddling. I found a swaddle strap that looks great, can be used with all kinds of pjs. Before I spend $30 on it though I wanted to see if I really should be just working on not swaddling him at all. We tried this morning when he spit up on his only swaddle sack and it was an epic fail. So when did you stop swaddling your DC?
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I totally need the bag-over-head icon. DD2 is 8 months old, and we're still swaddling her. We got her a Woombie, which goes up to 25 lbs and has little snap-flaps for the arms so you can wean them one arm at a time. We're trying to break her of it right now, but it's not going all that well.

What's the reason you're supposed to stop swaddling, though? I mean, we are because that's what you do, but I'm realizing I don't know why. It doesn't seem to have negatively impacted her physical development . . .

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post

What's the reason you're supposed to stop swaddling, though? I mean, we are because that's what you do, but I'm realizing I don't know why. It doesn't seem to have negatively impacted her physical development . . .
    The Miracle blanket FAQs say 14 weeks because a swaddled baby that rolls over would be swaddled face down.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS2 was in a lightweight Aden & Anais blanket loose swaddle with one arm out until he was about a year old. It was the only way he could sleep.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Around one month to 6 weeks.

Neither of our kids liked to be swaddled and would flail their arms and startle awake without a swaddle, thus, we ended up with two tummy sleepers.

It made us nervous at first, especially as new parents with him, but we didn't have a lot of options besides holding them all night (and I did go through those phases with both, too). When you're desperate for sleep, you will do anything! We did co-sleep, since it makes me feel more peaceful to be able to keep an eye on them and check for breathing!

Henry is almost 13 and still sleeps on his tummy -- er, stomach. He is in his own bed, at least.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

We swaddled dd1 a full year in the woombie.
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DD1 - swaddled to 5 months in old-fashioned flannel swaddling blankets.
    DD2 - lasted barely 6-7 weeks in swaddles. She hated them and kicked them off.

I'm a big fan of swaddling, so the longer the better, IMO!

for Sandy Hook

My DS was a swaddle addict as well. He was swaddled until 5 mos and a great sleeper--we had tried the one arm out thing to wean him before that, and it was a disaster. The only reason he stopped at 5 mos was b/c he had to be in the hospital. Otherwise he would have been a 6mo+ swaddler!

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Around 5.5 months, because DD started breaking out of the swaddle. FWIW, we used the Miracle Blanket for all but the first month of DD's life....I didn't even realize the 14 week thing until she was well past that age....and then it just didn't make sense to me (nothing about that swaddle seems like it would have an age limit when other swaddles don't) so we didn't follow it. I think as long as the LO isn't rolling over onto their tummy you're okay.
    Lizi

DD2 is spending her first night in the crib without a swaddle tonight and so far, so good! She's 7 months old and was doing great with the swaddle but she has started rolling over in her sleep so we have to go without. She was in a Miracle Blanket for a long time, then she just got too long for it and kept kicking herself free. I tried breaking her of the swaddle then, but she just couldn't keep her arms and legs from flailing all over the place. I got a larger Woombie and it has been working great until we found her on her tummy last night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast