Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Target Canada - Update - One opened near me!!

Update - Earlier this week, a bunch of new Target stores opened in Ontario and the one super close to me was included . YAY!!!
    I happened to be at Cdn Tire that is in the same mall so I just *had* to go check-out Target. This particular one was an old Zellers store. The transformation is unbelievable!! The Zellers was so bad, long narrow aisles with high shelves and you could never find anything or a salesperson for assistance.

I walked into Target and they had completely opened up the store. No more long, dark aisles. It is super bright and cheerful looking. Also it is a 2-floor store and the old Zellers had a very narrow escalator plus an old rickety elevator if you needed to take a cart up. They made the escalator area much wider so there is now an up and down one side by side plus a really cool escalator for carts right next to it.

Lots of sales people all over the store, happy, cheerful asking if you need help. They had the checkout area completely staffed and had someone directing traffic. I don't know if this is because it just opened or if it will always be like this.

As for products, I really only had a few minutes to run through it but they have a lot of the women's champions workout and athletic wear that looked nice. They had some kids circo and cherokee stuff. I think it might be a smaller selection than what you typically see in the US stores but they are not fully stocked yet. The kids bedroom and bathroom stuff is really cute. I saw a set of 100% cotton sheets double size for $29.99 with a cute girly pattern. They had a food area upstairs. I didn't look through it too carefully. I saw some of the "up and up" brand stuff like sandwich bags and disposable plates.

Pricing - I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that it is lower than I expected. They seem to be trying to keep clothing below $20 and item. Lots at $14.99 and $19.99. Boys polo shirts were $11.99. It is a much higher quality product than walmart and my initial sense is that the pricing is a bit lower but I can't say for sure.

Oh, there is also a Starbucks inside .

Another nice thing to see was that the mall it is in was super busy. It had been really dead for some time and it was pretty depressing to walk through there. I was there around 5pm and the food court was packed. It's just so nice to see other retailers benefiting from all the increased foot traffic. That mall also has a Bay in it. Should be interesting to see what happens with that. It's a really convenient location for me and would be amazing if the Bay or Hudson Bay Company as they are now calling themselves could clean up their act and become more competitive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Has anyone been to one of the 3 Target test stores in Ontario yet?
    I'm curious as to how they compare to the US ones. I'm a good hour drive from one of them and I'm not curious enought to drag myself out there. There is one opening very close to me in the spring and I really hope it will be good.
    Last edited by mikeys_mom; 03-22-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: update
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Just a few months ago the site said we were supposed to get some here in QC in March 2013, but now they're not opening until Fall 2013. So, no Target for us yet I'd love to hear how they compare to the US version, though, from anyone who has gone.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just recently (a week or two ago??) I read an article saying that Target Canada will be more expensive than Target in the USA. The explanation for this was that Target Canada will be priced competitively with other retailers in Canada. I'm not anticipating Target for their prices, rather just the selection of stuff they get. I'm always jealous of the things I hear you can buy from Target. I think the one here is going to be open in the fall of 2013... Not totally sure, though. Eagerly anticipating it, anyway.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

The rumour in our area is that our local Target will open within the next month, possibly before the offical grand opening in April.

I don't plan to line up to be one of the first in, but it is so close, that I will check it out as soon as the chaos clears a bit. I'll be sure to report back here how it compares to the US ones.

In the meantime, I'm not holding my breath for super low prices and I'll still have my parents bring back clothes for my kids from FL (they are officially snowbirds and are renovating their condo there so are back and forth regularly). It's a double bonus because I get cute stuff and she pays for it this way .
    DH pointed out to me that he doesn't think it is a coincidence that The Bay has recently rebranded. Even if Target Canada is not as good as the US, hoepfully it will still improve the overall retail scene in Canada for the better as other places try to compete.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Quote Originally Posted by EllasMum View Post
    I think the one here is going to be open in the fall of 2013...
    Same here, will have to wait until the fall to check it out.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've seen a few threads about Target on Red Flag Deals and Car-seat.org ... and maybe a FB friend checked out one of the stores in Ontario. I'm looking forward to Target more for the selection than for the pricing, to be honest.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Yes, I'm also more interested in the selection than getting a deal. I mean, if Gap and everywhere else American is charging more to do business here, of course Target will as well. But I'd like to be able to buy the things that other posters rec here right away and not once a year on a trip to the US! I'm also intrigued by the idea that Target may push other retailers to keep up and do better. I haven't shopped at The Bay for years because their selection is terrible - they're always out of things - and you can rarely find someone to ring you up!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    Yes, I'm also more interested in the selection than getting a deal. I mean, if Gap and everywhere else American is charging more to do business here, of course Target will as well. But I'd like to be able to buy the things that other posters rec here right away and not once a year on a trip to the US! I'm also intrigued by the idea that Target may push other retailers to keep up and do better. I haven't shopped at The Bay for years because their selection is terrible - they're always out of things - and you can rarely find someone to ring you up!
    I'll be interested to hear if the staff will be keeping the stores at the Target level of order or if they are the old Zellers staff who were used to the mess that was Zellers!

I saw over on car-seat.org that the carseat selection was pretty extensive, most felt it was much better than Walmart, but maybe not priced as competitively.

I had to laugh at some of the comments on the Toronto Star articles saying they will continue to support Canadian stores and that they are quite happy with Giant Tiger and that they loved Zellers...ok, I like GT for certain things but it's hardly in the same realm as Target.

Bumping for update in OP.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Hemlock is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to shopping at Target in Ontario, unfortunately we are not getting one here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast