Thread: Digging area

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Digging area

I want to make some kind of digging area for my kids this spring (DD is 4.5, DS is 2.5). They love to "garden", collect rocks, water things, and use digger trucks. But we don't really have a great spot for it in our yard right now. We live in a fairly new development with a flat open backyard w/ grass and a few small trees. Right now, they tend to do their digging in flower beds or areas we have mulched, which is not ideal bc they make a big mess and often dig up bulbs, plants etc. by accident.

We have a sand and water table, which they like and use, but it isn't big enough for the digger trucks and they can't "plant" and "garden" in it.

I have considered a sand box....or maybe even a small garden area for them, or a rock pile? Not sure what direction to go...anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have some kind of kid garden/digging area in their yard?

We had a spot in our yard where the grass doesn't want to grow...kind of near some paver stones that are like a little ledge (like 3 paper stones high.). Last summer DS started digging there, and now it his official digging area. It's only about 1 foot wide by 3 feet long, but its enough space for him to dig with his Bruder trucks. Our neighbors have a HUGE sand box that the dad built himself. DS likes that way better than our sand and water table since it can fit big trucks and large shovels. So, I'd say get/make a HUGE sandbox. I wouldn't throw rocks in it. Last summer when DS broke his arm, he wasn't allowed to play with sand (apparently worse than water if it gets in the cast), so I bought a bunch of rocks to put in the sand table, but DS wasn't amused for very long.
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 03-11-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We made a mulch area under two small ornamental maples in our back yard. We used some large logs for edging which doubles as seating. I filled it with cedar chips and found a bunch of small things to bury in it - mainly the vase filler 'gems' along with some small plastic lizards, etc. It is nice because it is shaded all day.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

we have an area under our deck that is for digging in the dirt. It works well.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07