Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default In your opinion, how much is TOO much for a First Communion dress?

I am really struggling to find a dress for DD's First Communion that I like. The more I look and don't find anything, the more I bump up the budget. How much would you consider spending before it's too much?

(And yes, I know I'm missing the point of the event, and it's not about what she wears. I just really want it to be a special day for her and I get all wrapped up in the "material" aspects of it. I'm working on that.)

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, for me it was over $20 since I got a gorgeous one at Costco last year for I think $17!! So I have a skewed view. But I would have gone up to $50.

Really, for us, they wear a robe over the Communion outfits anyway, so we only see it before/after. They are supposed to do a "procession" of some kind a couple of weeks after the actual Communion, where all the kids enter the church together and then they just wear their dress/suit with no robe. <shrug> This is new, our church got a new pastor this year and changed things.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

$40, if I really really loved it.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

If you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you, you might want to check them out. I was really surprised at their selection of flower girl/first communion dresses, and the prices are good.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by missym View Post
    If you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you, you might want to check them out. I was really surprised at their selection of flower girl/first communion dresses, and the prices are good.
    This is where I ended up getting DD2's dress. There were very limited options for size 7, but I got a cute one ($19.99)!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

kwc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Well, MIL made DD's dress of silk taffeta and silk organza, with hand smocking and seed pearls. So, I did not pay for it, but I suspect the materials may have been $60-100, not to mention the hours and hours of MIL's handiwork. I have it wrapped up in DD's closet, next to her baptismal gown (also made by MIL with hand embroidery and smocking)... it looks like she has 2 wedding dresses in there...

What would I pay? Probably between $40-80... maybe more as I've paid much more for the flower girl dresses DD has been in (though MIL made some of those, too). I'm kind of picky and I have paid $40-60 for the Easter and Christmas dresses DD has worn.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

$120 probably, but I would be more comfortable with $80. I have two girls who could potentially wear the dress as well (if DD2 wears it). I would like it to be heirloom quality so it could potentially be worn by other children. My sister and I wore my mom's dress and really my DDs could as well, but DD1 is pretty skinny so I am not sure it will even fit her properly in a year.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

On a related topic - - I have all boys and thought i would get away cheaper than a girl..... but darn if i can't find a suit in a decent price range! NO WAY I am going to pay $150+ for a suit my son will wear an hour or two! SO far the cheapest I have found is JCPENNY for around $90 - - but they are sold out in store anything under a size 14.

Good thing i have some time to shop consignment sales and stores!

Honestly if i had a girl i would probably go up to $100.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    On a related topic - - I have all boys and thought i would get away cheaper than a girl..... but darn if i can't find a suit in a decent price range! NO WAY I am going to pay $150+ for a suit my son will wear an hour or two! SO far the cheapest I have found is JCPENNY for around $90 - - but they are sold out in store anything under a size 14.

Good thing i have some time to shop consignment sales and stores!

Honestly if i had a girl i would probably go up to $100.
    DS had his First Communion last year. I got his suit at Sears and it was a reasonable price (around $50, on sale IIRC). Of course he also needed a new dress shirt, tie, dress socks, and shoes. So all total I probably spent around $100 on his outfit.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think I would expect to pay around $50-$75.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast