Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    On a related topic - - I have all boys and thought i would get away cheaper than a girl..... but darn if i can't find a suit in a decent price range! NO WAY I am going to pay $150+ for a suit my son will wear an hour or two! SO far the cheapest I have found is JCPENNY for around $90 - - but they are sold out in store anything under a size 14.

Good thing i have some time to shop consignment sales and stores!

Honestly if i had a girl i would probably go up to $100.
    Use your mom network! Ask around. Many people have this stuff, worn once. Or, go to a used store. Again, they are usually in good shape bc hardly worn.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    On a related topic - - I have all boys and thought i would get away cheaper than a girl..... but darn if i can't find a suit in a decent price range! NO WAY I am going to pay $150+ for a suit my son will wear an hour or two! SO far the cheapest I have found is JCPENNY for around $90 - - but they are sold out in store anything under a size 14.

Good thing i have some time to shop consignment sales and stores!

Honestly if i had a girl i would probably go up to $100.
    I just saw the cutest suit at a consignment shop a few weeks ago when I was shopping. DS1 really wants one, and it fit perfectly, but we don't have another event for him to wear it to for a few months and I doubt it would fit by then. If you have time, I'd definitely check consignment sales or shops, or post a "wanted" ad on CL. Lots of people use things like that 1-3x. No harm in checking there first.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm very frugal with kid clothes. When they are younger, I'd say 50-75% of their daily stuff is consignment. WIth my DS1, that's no longer the case as it is really tough to find boy clothes in good shape as they get older.

After I pick up their everyday stuff at bargain prices, I buy a few better items that I really love from HA, gymboree, etc. I usually splurge for photos, holidays, or special events. I'll often shop consignment or thrift first, as I've often found stuff I love there (one year DD's Easter dress was a gorgeous tea length, lined white linen dress with sage piping. Stunning and about $5 IIRC. And no worries at that price about how practical white linen is with a young child ) But if I don't find what I like or need to fill in items (often easy to find something for DD, harder for the boys) I don't feel even a little guilty if it is something that matters to me, so I'd probably go as high as $100 if I loved it.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I'd go as high as $100, but I'd want to stay around $50. I spent $65 on DD's baptism dress, which she only wore once. It was worth it.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would probably say $40 for us, but keep in mind that I factor in the fact that we are always buying doubles. So maybe my real answer is $80. The most expensive dress I have gotten the girls was I think $55 or $60 each and that was for flower girl dresses. And I hated spending that much!

I would say $150. DD will make hers next year, but I'm currently shopping for a flower girl dress. A friend told me people spend $300.

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I paid $180 and would have spent $300. Still need the headpiece. Can't help it.....We got this, BTW:

I don't know how to make the picture smaller. The jacket comes off.
    Last edited by blisstwins; 03-21-2013 at 09:39 AM.

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Beautiful blisstwins! Is that your DD modeling it?

I think part of my problem is that I set a budget I thought was generous. When I didn't find anything in that price range that I loved, I bumped the budget up. And since the budget went up, I felt like I really, really needed to LOVE whatever I settled on. And when I didn't find anything that met that the really, really love qualification, I bumped the budget up again....lather, rinse, repeat. You get the idea.

The point about flower girl dresses is a good one. If she were asked to be a flower girl, I would pay the price, whatever it may be, for a dress that would only be worn once, and not agonize over it like I am this. Maybe I just need to do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2