Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Should I give up my unlimited data cell phone plan?

I need to change my AT&T cell phone plan because I'm exceeding my talk minutes. One option is to switch to a plan with more talk minutes and 16gb of data. My current plan has unlimited data. AT&T no longer offers an unlimited data plan. Apparently I did not even use half of 1gb data in the past six months (per their rep). The rep says it's "almost impossible" to go over and if I did, it's $15 per 1gb of overage.

Will I regret giving up unlimited data? This is just for my iPhone. I don't have an ipad but even if I did, I can't see a scenario where I'd use my AT&T data (I'd use our wireless, right?). I'm a bit of a rookie here so appreciate the advice.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have no idea about the numbers of data usage, but I have had AT&T reps tell me several times not to give up my unlimited data plan bc I would never be able to get it back. But if your history of use has you nowhere close to the 16gb you would get and you need more talk minutes, then it seems to make sense for you. Are there no other options of adding more talk minutes without changing the data? We have made several changes to ours (adding hotspot ability for DH, adding unlimited texts, etc.) without effecting my unlimited data.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    I have no idea about the numbers of data usage, but I have had AT&T reps tell me several times not to give up my unlimited data plan bc I would never be able to get it back. But if your history of use has you nowhere close to the 16gb you would get and you need more talk minutes, then it seems to make sense for you. Are there no other options of adding more talk minutes without changing the data? We have made several changes to ours (adding hotspot ability for DH, adding unlimited texts, etc.) without effecting my unlimited data.
    This is why we are still with AT&T instead of switching providers. We have changed plan details as well without impacting our unlimited data.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You can view your usage on ATTs website to gauge for yourself what your actual monthly data usage is.

DH and I are with ATT and each have 2GB data and neither of us even gets close to using it all. We are on wifi at home and at work and 3G everywhere else. We don't stream music, movies, tv on our phones which is what uses up the most data. If you just surf and email then you should be fine with 16GB. I've attended 2 5 day conferences this year where I was on 3G constantly since the convention areas didn't have open wifi. Even in those 2 months the most I used was 280 MB for the month and that was with being on BBB, email, FB, etc all day long. DH hasn't gone over 70 MB in the past 6 months and he's on 3G at work because he can't access work wifi via his personal phone.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I do have the option of just increasing my minutes for an additional $20/month. Seems like a lot, though, if in effect it just means I'm paying to keep this unlimited data plan. We too have been told (by AT&T reps) to hold on to it, but OTOH it looks like I'm hardly touching it.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

When you need to upgrade your phone, will you be buying a (pricey) unsubsidized phone to keep the plan? They'll not let you upgrade with a subsidized phone and keep that plan, is my understanding.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/21/tech...ata/index.html

If you are going to eventually lose something you don't really "use up" anyway, I'd just bite the bullet now. They are really, really wanting to do away with those plans and it isn't something you even benefit from, so why fight it?

I think a lot of the reps may use the "but you have unlimited" thing as a way to keep you at AT&T vs. going with another carrier (who doesn't even have unlimited), not really as a way to keep unlimited as they know you aren't using it!

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    When you need to upgrade your phone, will you be buying a (pricey) unsubsidized phone to keep the plan? They'll not let you upgrade with a subsidized phone and keep that plan, is my understanding.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/21/tech...ata/index.html
    !
    That is Verizon. DH and I are still legacy unlimited. I read that they throttle lte phones at 5 gig. And throttle non lte at 3gigs.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm holding tight to my unlimited data plan - unfortunately that binds me to ATT, but I love the plan!

for Sandy Hook

Doesn't Sprint still have an unlimited data plan?
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't give it up. More and more apps and such are going to hog more and more data, I think.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast